Youth Programme Leader
“Fantastic opportunity to gain experience at a dynamic, grass-roots NGO working in Northern Greece. Help to lead the expansion of a successful, informal youth education programme!”
Second Tree (www.secondtree.org, www.facebook.com/SecondTree/) are looking for volunteers who can lead the development, implementation and expansion of our youth education program. This is a brilliant opportunity to work in the humanitarian sector, taking on real responsibility in a dynamic, grass-roots NGO. Currently, the youth programme works with young refugees and asylum seekers across two sites, providing them with a sense of community and experiences that they wouldn’t otherwise receive!
There are some specific applicant requirements, however the most important is to have a strong desire to work with refugees and a commitment to improve the situation for them here in Greece. Second Tree works in a transparent way in a challenging and changeable situation on the field; therefore, an ability to learn quickly and be open to feedback is vital.
We are looking to recruit people to one of the following four roles within our youth programme, and whilst these should guide applications, imagination and flexibility is encouraged when applying. If you don’t fit perfectly into one of the categories but think you could help, please still apply! The roles are:
Children’s ESL teacher: responsible for the delivery of the programme’s English classes across two sites. Classes focus on low level English learning and must be fun and engaging. TEFL/equivalent experience is required.
Scout/excursion leader: responsible for leading the weekend excursions for both camps, a highlight of the programme for participants! Excursions are based generally on the Scout model and require an organised, methodical planner who is confident leading groups of children.
Arts and crafts specialist: responsible for using knowledge of art, music and practical skills to plan creative workshops within the existing curriculum. Assist the programme lead and scout leader when organising and partaking in excursions.
Science/maths specialist: responsible for using knowledge of science and maths to plan creative and engaging workshops within the existing curriculum. Assist the programme lead and scout leader when organising and partaking in excursions.
- Ability to commit to over four weeks;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, multi-lingual setting;
- Ability to work independently and within a team;
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage own workload;
- Ability to work in a high-intensity environment;
- Adaptable, flexible attitude and approach to activities and people management;
- Ability to communicate in an open, honest, direct manner;
- Experience with teenagers in educational and leisure activities
- Experience working as a Scout leader or in other leadership roles
- Knowledge of pedagogical tools and programs suitable for children/vulnerable people.
What We Offer:
There is no ‘volunteer fee’ to work with Second Tree. We offer the following benefits, depending on the duration of the stay:
- 5 weeks-10 weeks: Transportation to and from work.
- 2½ months or more: Accommodation with all the basic amenities (WiFi, heating, laundry, kitchen) covered in a shared team house. Transportation to and from work.
- 4 months or more: small stipend available as well as accommodation and transportation.
We have two volunteer houses that can host up to nine people where long-term volunteers are accommodated. Some volunteers choose to rent their own accommodation. In certain periods of the year, demand is extremely high, and the volunteer houses might be full. If you have the means to pay for your own accommodation, please let us know. We would still be happy to host you if space is available. However, in a situation where the volunteer houses are full, this would allow us to offer a volunteering opportunity to someone that cannot afford to pay rent.
How To Apply:
Please send the following to Giovanni Fontana at: firstname.lastname@example.org
1) Your CV
2) Your cover letter
In your mail, please:
3) Put “Youth Programme Candidate (Eldis.org)” as the subject line
4) Specify the dates you would be available to volunteer
If the application includes all of these we will get back to you in a maximum of 48hs.