Trustee – Conservation Champion
Marwell Wildlife is a leading conservation charity dedicated to the conservation of biodiversity and other natural resources. The aims of the organisation are to:
- Conserve species and their habitats, locally and globally
- Inspire care for the natural world
- Undertake and share results of scientific studies
- Improve their environmental performance and promote sustainable living
The organisation predominantly fund the delivery of their charitable outputs by operating Marwell Zoo, a successful and much-loved visitor attraction in the heart of Hampshire. Established 47 years ago, Marwell Wildlife is now a flourishing ~ £12m turnover organisation, employing over 200 permanent staff and welcoming over 500,000 guests annually.
Looking ahead, they have ambitious plans for the future and have recently embarked upon an exciting 10-year self-funding programme of capital investment into the zoo. In addition to creating and investing in first-class guest experience, the organisation intend to gear their funding of conservation to the turnover of the zoo and a further increase of their charitable output and conservation work.
As a registered charity, the governance and overall leadership of the organisation rest with the Board of Trustees, who work alongside a Chief Executive and Executive team. While membership of the Board is voluntary, it is a highly rewarding experience where Trustees contribute actively, take significant responsibility for the governance and strategic direction of the organisation. We are conducting a search to find a Conservation Trustee to replace a current Trustee undertaking this role on the Board; a suitably experienced international conservationist, ideally with a practical understanding of NGO organisational development and applying policy in the environmental sector. The organisational structure takes its inspiration from the concept of the triple bottom line of profit, people and planet. This shows itself in the below three organisational goals:
Growing their business by investing wisely and operating efficiently
Living their vibrant organisation with enthusiastic people focussed on shared goals
Delivering charitable impact through their zoological park and international work
While the position of Trustee is undertaken on a voluntary basis and without remuneration (reasonable expenses are paid), Trustees are encouraged to play a full part in the vibrant life of Marwell. Those already in this role find it extremely fulfilling and are a vital part of the Marwell family. In addition to the generic responsibilities and skills required of Board members, Marwell requires someone who can ideally demonstrate expertise and wisdom in:
developing or guiding a mission-focused organisation or driving environmental policy and its practical application in local or central government;
understanding the relationship between biodiversity and society;
demonstrating expertise in at least one of the following areas: wildlife conservation, environmental education, sustainability, social impact;
an international track record and an understanding of working in uncertain environments.
A broad-based conservationist with some international experience who brings some of the following:
- Developing or guiding a mission-focused organisation or driving environmental policy and its practical application in local or central government/communities;
- Understanding the relationship between biodiversity and society;
- Demonstrating expertise in at least one of the following areas: wildlife conservation, environmental education, sustainability, social impact;
- Understanding of working in uncertain environments;
- Experience of mentoring individuals, teams and facilitating change;
- Basic understanding of health and safety requirements.
- A strong interest in, and commitment to, the vision and values of Marwell Wildlife, as well as its future development;
- Possessing well-honed soft skills;
- Exceptional communications skills and the ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary
- The ability to act, where appropriate, as an advocate and ambassador for Marwell Wildlife with governments, senior policy makers, donors, sponsors, supporters and customers.
Demonstrating expertise in at least one of the following areas:
- Wildlife conservation
- Environmental education
- Social impact
Visit the link below for more information and apply if this role suits you: