About INOKS Capital
INOKS Capital channels capital for growth to corporates ranging from SMEs to major corporates with a majority focus on Emerging Markets. INOK’s mission is to contribute to create sustainable commodity markets worldwide by impact investing in companies in the commodity value chain whose products and services contribute to address poverty reduction, food security, environmental quality and women empowerment. To date, INOKS Capital has deployed more than USD 4.4 bn and supported 130 + companies.
PEANUTWORX is a groundnut processing company based in Bloemhof, South Africa. In 2019, the business secured investment from INOKS Capital, with the dual objectives of:
- Improving underlying business performance and delivering a commercial return on the investment, and
- Generating development impact such as creating jobs and increasing income – particularly for lower-income groups (smallholder farmers and lower-skilled workers).
INOKS Capital is looking for a Sustainability Manager to implement a set of interventions designed as part of INOKS Capital’s Technical Assistance Programme for one of its investees, Peanutworx, a groundnut processing company in South Africa. The Sustainability Manager will also support INOKS Capital on business development initiatives.
The RoleSustainability Manager, Peanutworx (~60-70% role)
The Sustainability Manager will be responsible for implementing a portfolio of interventions designed to generate development impact and support improved business performance. The key objectives of the role include:
- Leading the Technical Assistance project delivery, by:
- Ownership of the project strategy, including developing a project strategy document and intervention plans; participating in regular strategic review meetings; preparing written updates as required; and
- Day-to-day delivery of the intervention portfolio that includes developing and implementing Small Holder Farm out grower schemes to increase groundnut supply and support improved farmer livelihoods; Developing and implementing a grading strategy; Contracting and pricing; Information exchange involving establishing and managing partnerships; building consensus around key issues; delivering activities to schedule and within budget.
- Working in close coordination with the PEANUTWORX leadership team to ensure that the Technical Assistance project is aligned with core business objectives.
- Influencing systemic change beyond the firm through extensive direct engagement with a variety of system actors (small and large farmers, processors, local government, associations, financial institutions, etc.).
- Setting up a lean, practical project management and monitoring system.
- Building deep and extensive knowledge – of the local/national/international groundnut sector, and relevant good practice from other markets – to drive innovation and good quality decision-making on the Technical Assistance project.
Business Development, INOKS Capital (~30-40% role)
This role provides support to the business development and origination team at INOKS Capital. The key objectives of the role include:
- Sourcing and screening potential investment companies (agribusinesses and/or alternative trade financiers) in line with INOKS’ investment strategy and Impact & Environmental Social and Governance (ESG)criteria for the Southern Africa Region.
- Communicating with investees to collect data to complete INOKS’ due diligence questionnaires and surveys.
- Providing support to the Investee Manager to conduct due diligence.
- Conducting on-site visit upon request.
The Sustainability Manager will report to the PEANUTWORX Management Team and work closely with the operations teams in Peanutworx in delivery of the TA project. In addition, she/he will receive ongoing advice, strategic support, and training from Agora Global over the three-year implementation period. Regarding the Business Development work, the Sustainability Manager will report to INOKS Capital’s CFO and will work closely with INOKS’ Investee Teams.
- Degree in development, business management, agriculture, or similar.
- Proven technical skills in one or more of the intervention areas listed above, or in related / transferable areas.
- Management and implementation of Small Holder Farmers out grower schemes in Africa is considered a plus.
- Experience in management of sustainability projects of similar scope and complexity.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of sustainable development.
- Experience in the groundnut / agricultural sector in South Africa, or relevant markets elsewhere, is desirable.
- Proficiency in English, working experience in Afrikaans and knowledge of other South Africa language(s) would an asset.
How to apply
Interested in this role? Please notice that all applications are through OxfordHR website.