STI Department Director
The Islamic Development Bank is a multilateral development bank (MDB), working to improve the lives of those we serve by promoting social and economic development in Muslim countries and communities worldwide, delivering impact at scale.
The role provides strategic direction, motivational leadership and operational oversight for the STI Department in line with IsDB’s vision and strategy. It determines the strategy of the Department, sets and delivers objectives that enable IsDB to become a leading organization that mobilizes STI as a real development game changer. The role is also expected to position the department to effectively integrate STI tools and solutions into the mainstream Bank’s operations and interventions with the Member Countries to achieve maximum development impact.
- Prepare policy guidelines, implementation plans and programmes for the promotion of Science, Technology and Innovation and innovation sectors related to the socio-economic development of Member Countries in coordination with concerned unit in Country Programs Complex.
- Support the development of appropriate institutional mechanisms and modes of financing in order to facilitate the IDB’s operations in the concerned fields
- Develop and implement effective strategies and mechanisms for Science, Technology and Innovation and development of innovation hubs.
- Undertake analytical work in the field of Science, Technology and Innovation to identify issues and consider the necessity for priority interventions.
- Oversee the preparation and appraisal of Science, Technology and Innovation projects to ensure quality.
- Adopt innovative approaches to project interventions that help realize greater synergies and impact positively on the objective to alleviate poverty.
- Supervise and support Science, Technology and Innovation related projects with regular programmes to identify potential issues and problems. Prepare and implement effective action plans to resolve any such issues swiftly.
- Develop key results targets and performance indicators (KPIs) related to Science, Technology and Innovation and Innovation.
- Prepare, implement and monitor associated annual plans and budgets.
- Identify, prepare and process cross-cutting (non-sector specific) Science, Technology and Innovation operations and projects, including Technical Assistance.
- Develop and pilot Science, Technology and Innovation initiatives between Member Countries and streamline/rollout the successful initiatives where suitable.
- Act as a secretariat for the IDB’s Science, Technology and Innovation Prizes and Advisory Panel on Science, Technology and Innovation.
- Foster innovation in member countries by developing enabling incentives. Provides strategic foresight for effective design and implementation of the annual Multi-Stakeholder Forum
- Oversees and contributes to the preparation of the Bank’s strategy, assistance framework, operational plan and work programme related to scholarship programmes in Member Countries and Muslim communities in non-Member Countries.
Job Specific Competencies
- Demonstrable leadership and senior management experience within the science, technology and innovation (STI) fields
- Demonstrable experience of evaluating, developing and implementing new strategic initiatives in STI, such as innovation hubs or related
- Demonstrable experience of working in a complex organisation, with an ability to manage operations, negotiate and network, both internally and externally as required
- Track record of working in different national and political contexts, some connections to IsDB Member Countries and/or Muslim Communities in non-Member Countries would be desirable
- Good understanding of developing innovative projects that could have a positive impact on the sustainable development goals, particularly the alleviation of poverty
- Excellent skills in organizing resources and establishing priorities
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills and ability to work with a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience in dealing with a broad range of complex issues, involving scientists and diplomats alike, within and outside the organization in different countries
- Adaptable and resilient; able to thrive in a dynamic environment
- Ability to travel internationally.
Located: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Closing Date: 26th November
To find out more and to apply: http://isdb.oxfordhr.co.uk/jobs/sti-department-director/