Standards & Assurance Director
Bonsucro is the leading global sustainability platform and standard for sugarcane, one of the world’s most important crops. Our purpose is to collectively accelerate the sustainable production and uses of sugarcane.
We convene over 270 members from more than 50 countries to addresscritical challenges in the sugarcane sector and drive both performance and impact through our system of sustainability standards. We work across all sugarcane products and derivatives – sugar, ethanol, molasses, and bagasse in traditional and newer market sectors, from sugar and alcohol to biofuels and bioplastics.
Bonsucro is ISEAL Code Compliant. Our system has been independently evaluated against ISEAL’s Codes of Good Practice––a globally recognised framework for effective, credible sustainability systems.
In 2021, we published a new strategic plan that reflects our confidence in the future of sustainable sugarcane and the contribution we will make to the UN Global Goals and climate action.
The strategy sets out our ambitions to collectively accelerate the sustainable production and uses of sugarcane through three strategic aims:
- Create shared value across the supply chain
- Improve the environmental impact of sugarcane
- Strengthen human rights and decent work in sugarcane farming and milling.
These aims are underpinned by six main activities: certification and assurance, impact projects, membership development, market development, digitisation, and communications. We will use the combined strength of our global membership to create a powerful force for change.
Working for a dynamic, purposeful, multi-stakeholder organisation and reporting to the CEO, you will play a pivotal role in the Bonsucro mission to collectively accelerate the sustainable production and uses of sugarcane and the success of the ambitious new five-year strategic plan. Founded ten years ago, Bonsucro is the most widely adopted standard for sustainable sugarcane and you would be joining at an exciting time of expansion and opportunity.
This is a leadership role that encompasses technical and organisational functions relating to the Bonsucro standards and assurance. This primary purpose of the role is to drive forward the acceleration and scaling up of sustainable sugarcane production, whilst ensuring that the Bonsucro standards and assurance remain relevant, credible, and impactful, underpinned by robust governance and effective systems. This includes leading the rollout of the revised Production Standard and enhancements to the assurance system as well as leading the development of an evolved approach to scale up certification and support for sugarcane farmers and mills at various stages of their sustainability journey in sugarcane origins.
The role will also lead on research partnerships and have responsibility for overall management of technical services and technical inputs to our global programmes addressing the environmental and social aims of the strategy, as well as support digitalisation and leveraging of sustainability data to monitor impact and inform
The Director of Standard & Assurance leads a London-based team and sits on the Senior Management Team (SMT), with a key role developing Bonsucro’s annual operation plan and making key decisions to drive success of the organisation and its people.
STRATEGY AND EXECUTION
- Lead conceptualising, developing, and delivering the departmental plan and targets to deliver the strategic plan, and manage delivery to meet agreed timescales and budgets.
- Provide overall direction and leadership for developing and delivering the Bonsucro standards & assurance system, and always maintain compliance with the ISEAL codes.
- Lead developing and delivering an inclusive approach to Bonsucro’s certification, to scale uptake of certified sustainable sugarcane, including alignment with other compatible standards and initiatives and development of.
- Ensure strong engagement with other departments and teams to maintain/improve alignment and delivery across Bonsucro.
- Support the effectiveness of the Global Programmes and Engagement teams to recruit and retain members through providing value-add to members.
- Overall responsibility for managing the Technical Advisory Board, to support delivery of the strategic plan and work of the governance bodies.
- Work together with the CEO and other Senior Management Team members to execute the organisation’s growth plans.
RESEARCH, TRAINING, INNOVATION
- Provide overall direction and leadership on development and delivery of the technical training curriculum and plans, including high-quality training materials and e-learning.
- Manage and deliver technical services to support members continuous improvements, principally at farm and mill level but also with intermediaries and end users of the sugarcane supply chain.
- Lead, manage and support new and existing research projects to develop insights and evidence on the impact of Bonsucro standards and assurance, the development of landscape approaches, science-based criteria, and for organizational M&E.
- Develop and share knowledge of trends, innovations, initiatives as it relates to the Bonsucro standards and assurance.
- Provide strategic and technical inputs to the development and evaluation of income-generating projects and partnerships.
- Make a significant contribution towards the further digitalisation and innovation of Bonsucro products and services and internal systems, including proper stewardship of data policies and data management protocols.
- In conjunction with other members of the Senior Management Team, to expand and diversify Bonsucro’s income pipeline to increase scale and impact, including but not limited to, membership, trade, grants, products, services.
- Nurture and maintain a positive working environment and culture in accordance with the core Bonsucro principles of inclusiveness, adaptability, collaboration, and credibility.
- Lead and manage the S&A team to achieve the strategic goals and departmental KPI’s in adherence with organisational culture and core principles.
- Provide coaching, feedback, guidance, and direction as needed: ensure that the direct report managers do the same for their staff on regular basis.
- Proactively retain and nurture existing partnerships and memberships and manage contractual agreements, including Certification and Accreditation Bodies, and partners.
- Liaise with external stakeholders to identify and champion new services and product offerings.
- Act as a representative of the organisation with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Highlight exceptions and risk immediately to the CEO and SMT and proactively propose solutions to mitigate these.
- Liaise with the Finance team to conduct monthly reviews of departmental expenditure and annual/quarterly budget processes.
- Work together with the Head of Corporate Services and the respective committees and take ownership of the departmental budget planning, forecasting, management, and progress updates to support best practice business operations.
- Provide timely updates to the CEO on relevant aspects of the department work plan, including submissions for quarterly CEO reports and prepare recommendations and inputs to the Board and Members Council meetings as required.
- Review and validate M&E and impact-related claims for ISEAL and external reporting.
- A collaborative and inclusive leader with extensive senior management experience in an international role
- Strong technical skills relevant to developing and managing sustainability standards and assurance systems
- Excellent communication skills and a proven ability to engage a diversity of stakeholders and to motivate and bring others along
- Proven ability to deliver multiple priorities in a complex and resource-constrained context
- Extensive experience in sustainable agriculture, and preferably in sugarcane production and its supply chains or similar tropical crops.
- Knowledge and experience in at least two of the following thematic priorities: climate action, water stewardship, biodiversity/regenerative agriculture, human rights, decent work, living wage, smallholder farming.
- Analytical with good research and problem-solving skills and a strong interest in data
- Strong budget, planning and project management skills.
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- University degree in relevant subject
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and principles of Bonsucro
- Post-graduate in agriculture, environmental science, or another relevant subject.
- Experience managing and collaborating with global and remote teams and stakeholders.
- Proven networks within the global sustainable agriculture and sugar industry.
- Ability to speak other languages, in particular Portuguese and Spanish
- Familiarity with ISEAL and its codes