Speech Writer/Communications Support Officer
- Based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia with possible travel to provinces
- Part-time position up to 8 days a month until June 2020
Australia’s development assistance program in Cambodia aims to contribute to greater prosperity, stability and resilience – in Cambodia and the broader Indo-Pacific region.
Through Australia Awards, the Australian Government is providing education opportunities to talented Cambodians at the postgraduate level to contribute to Cambodia’s development.
Australia Awards Cambodia (AAC) is as an eight-year investment for the period 2018 to 2026. The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has engaged Coffey as the Contractor to manage AAC.
The Goal of AAC is to support Cambodia to progress its development goals and have strong relationships with Australia that advance mutual interests. The outcomes expected at the end of the eight-year investment are:
- Alumni are using their skills, knowledge and networks to contribute to sustainable development;
- Alumni are contributing to cooperation between Australia and Cambodia;
- Effective, mutually advantageous partnerships exist between institutions and private sector organisations in Australia and Cambodia; and
- Stakeholders in Cambodia view Australia, Australians and Australian expertise positively.
AAC has three core activities:
a) Australia Awards Scholarships (AAS);
b) Short Term Awards; and
c) Australia Awards Fellowships (AAF).
The three core activities are supported by the following activities:
a) Equity Pathway Program (EPP);
b) English Language Training (ELT) and pre-departure training (PDT);
c) On-award engagement; and
d) Alumni engagement.
The Speech Writer/Communications Support Officer will highlight the successes of AAC and broader education and related initiatives between Australia and Cambodia to a variety of audiences and stakeholders. With the potential to make a real difference in shaping the outcomes of the program, they will write speeches for the Australian Ambassador to Cambodia to deliver at high-profile events and may write or contribute to speeches for other diplomats and special visitors. They will also prepare other media & communications material and assist with events management.
Other key duties will include:
- Be prepared to write speeches, sometimes at short notice, for a range of public engagements undertaken by the Australian Ambassador and other personnel, with reference to Australia Awards /education and related issues as required.
- Maintain a close working relationship with the Coffey AAC team and Australian Embassy personnel responsible for managing AAC.
- Ensure gender equality issues are taken into consideration in the development of all speeches and communications products, consistent with DFAT’s gender policies.
- Engage with relevant stakeholders and have a good understanding of contemporary development issues such as alumni and education, and related topics.
We are seeking applicants already based in Phnom Penh with a relevant tertiary qualification or at least five years of media and communications experience on a project in a developing country. The successful candidate will have at least five years of experience delivering successful international media and communication activities, including speechwriting for senior officials and will preferably have experience working on scholarships, alumni or education related projects. Experience working for or with Australian DFAT or Australian diplomatic missions on media and communications activities, particularly in South East Asian countries, will be highly regarded. You will also have events management experience, including project management skills and have demonstrated experience or ability to work with the private sector, public sector and civil society organisations. You will have demonstrated experience in producing high quality speeches and media products with experience supporting programs with gender equality, child protection, disability inclusion and social inclusion policy, practice and outcomes. The successful candidate will be self-motivated with the ability to drive a ‘can-do’ team culture to support management of a multi-disciplinary team in a complex project management environment such as Cambodia.
How to Apply
For a detailed position description and to apply for this position please visit www.coffey.com/careers click on ‘career opportunities’ and search for the reference number 497634.
Applications close 5.00pm (Cambodian time) 20th February 2019
For further enquiries please contact: email@example.com