Senior Research Associate, Agronomist
SENIOR RESEARCH ASSOCIATE
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a Senior Research Associate in Agronomy to assist the Project Manager in the implementation of the potato project: “Sustainable Intensification of Potato in Rice based systems in Odisha for Increased Productivity and Profitability” in Odisha, India.
About the role:
The Senior Research Associate will work with the project team and other partners on the implementation of project activities in the field, collection of research data, publication of research findings, and that those findings are translated into a form that will enable practitioners to take new methods and tools to scale. In addition, the scientist will also help with capacity strengthening efforts linked to building a community of practice knowledgeable in potato seed systems, crop management and post-harvest management. The position requires an experienced potato person with good quantitative and writing skills combined with an ability to teach complex topics to researchers at different levels of expertise and as well it will be an opportunity to develop publications. The position will be based in Bhubaneswar, India and report directly to the Project Manager.
- Conduct demonstrations on improved production practices related to plant or soil nutrition, pest and disease management, mechanization and water management.
- Conduct field visits to monitor and collect seed, plant, and soil samples and testing samples for nutritional deficiencies, diseases, or other changes
- Work closely with the project team in developing production practices by integrating varieties with improved production practices to improve farmers’ income.
- Provide trainings to farmers, project partners and extension agents on improved production practices.
- Contribute to writing training materials, technical progress reports and annual reviews and workplans as directed by the Project Manager.
- Assist the project manager in administrative tasks and activities related to knowledge management and generating communication outputs for users of technologies.
What are we looking for?
- Masters or higher degree in Agronomy or any other Plant Science.
- At least 8 years of experience in field work preferably on potato.
- Expertise in experimental design related to field agronomy, data collection, analysis, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate tasks to meet deadlines
- Experience of coordinating and technical reporting.
- Good record of scientific and technical publications.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with counterparts.
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Strong understanding of integrating gender and other social equity considerations into project design and delivery.
- Ability to organize work and write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills in English and fluent in Hindi.
- Willing to travel extensively in India and in the region.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
- CIP is an international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background.
- CIP is a recent World Food Price Winner, and CIP has been recently awarded the Al-Sumait Award for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
- CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world.
- CIP is a member of the CGIAR, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are we offering?
- Great career opportunity in an international organization.
- Generous compensation package commensurate with experience.
- One-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
How to apply?
Visit the following link: https://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references. Screening of applications will begin on September 16, 2019 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.