Senior Finance Administration Manager
HealthNet TPO is looking for an experienced Senior Finance and Administration Manager to oversee the financial aspect of South Sudan programs.
HealthNet TPO is a knowledge-driven, non-profit organization that works in areas disrupted by war, disasters and poverty. Working together with local populations, it works on rehabilitation and sustainable health care development. We aim to contribute to improve the overall health situation and support the development of systems in the provision of health care. HealthNet TPO contributes to community mobilization as a conditional necessity in populations recovering from long-time warfare. In doing so, we aspire to include and build the capacity of local organizations, communities and authorities. HealthNet TPO strives for developing evidence-based interventions to strengthen the health of populations in distress.
The Headquarter office is based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, with country offices located in Afghanistan, Burundi and South Sudan..
You will be responsible for managing all aspects of the finance function of the HealthNet TPO South Sudan program to achieve our objectives in line with the organization’s policies, procedures and standards. You will have to ensure that a proper accounting system is in place and that international accounting standards are efficiently applied.
The Senior Finance and Administration Manager reports to the Country Director based in South Sudan as well as to the Financial Controller based in Amsterdam, and receives direct reports from the Finance Coordinator and Logistics Coordinator.
This is an initial 15 months unaccompanied position based in Juba, South Sudan (with regular trips to field locations), with possibility of extension based on performance and donor funding.
Your tasks include:
- Ensure country financial management systems & records are adequate in order to identify and protect the assets & interests of the organization
- Establish & maintain a donor financial management system in order to optimize funding & to ensure efficient & accurate reporting to donors
- Ensure adequate controls over cash & bank management are constantly monitored & updated to minimize the risk of fraud or misappropriation. Monitor cash flow and ensure that sufficient funds are always available in the bank
- Undertake regular field visits in order to assess the financial systems in place & implement improvements wherever need
- Closely monitor all financial activities, and keep the CD/HQ advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial management performance
- Undertake financial assessments & evaluation of partners, in line with HealthNet TPO’s standard financial procedures
- Participate in the review, monitoring and capacity building of partners
- Participation in budgeting for new proposals and budget revisions for existing projects. Preparation of the working budgets in consultation with the program staff
- Ensure partner financial reports are thoroughly reviewed in coordination with the respective program staff, and
- Protect organization values by keeping information confidential
- Maintain an effective & efficient system of internal controls which comply with HealthNet TPO’s financial guidelines
- Review existing systems on an on-going basis in order to develop and improve internal controls, in compliance with HealthNet TPO’s policies and procedures
- Ensure all financial records & accounts are compiled timely, accurately and in line with international accounting standards & donor regulations
- Ensure the country financial operations comply with legal & statutory requirements e.g. audit & financial reporting to all relevant national authorities
- Ensure country management prepares the annual & revised country budget and donor budgets, as accurately as possible
- Keep up-to-date with donor regulations and ensure that all controls are in place to meet donor compliance
- Ensure implementation of recommendations from audits and due diligence assessments and continuous monitoring to ensure controls and risk mitigation measures are in place
- Ensure timely & accurate preparation of monthly management accounts for budget-holders and Country Management to ensure that they can monitor the budget utilization and take appropriate action on any significant variances
- Ensure timely & accurate compilation, preparation and submission of donor reports as per the grant agreement(s)
- Reconcile all balance sheet items on a monthly/quarterly basis, in accordance with HealthNet TPO’s policies & procedures
- Provide financial and risk analysis where necessary and suggest the risk mitigation measures to protect the resources
- Review monthly bookkeeping (PBKs) with the GL specifications and reconciliations for submission to HQ within due dates
Staff Management & Capacity Building
- Develop the capacity of the South Sudan finance team to ensure that a good standard of financial management is maintained
- Undertake specific training and other relevant initiatives so that the national staff can be credible candidates to fill any vacant position in the finance team and to provide strong cover for leave
- Undertake financial training of budget-holders, to assist them in enforcing financial controls & making decisions based on financial reports
- Provide regular feedback to field offices in respect of monthly bookkeeping and all related matters of running project(s)
- Communicating and implementing corrective measures within the department
- Communicating management's decisions to relevant personnel at field offices and within the department
- Facilitating internal, external & donor audits
- Ensure all statutory deductions & taxes are complied with & to liaise with relevant authorities in this respect
- Actively participating in the CMT meetings and be proactively involved in the decision-making processes
- Provide any other financial information, as requested, and respond to any other financial queries
- BA in Finance; MBA preferred
- Professional qualifications (i.e. ACCA or CPA) are an added advantage
Experience and Specific Skills
- At least 5 years relevant experience in senior finance position, preferably as international staff
- Knowledge of development work in (international) NGO, preferably in a multi-cultural setting
- Working knowledge with various institutional donors, including planning and reporting
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Computer skills incl. MS Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and PowerPoint, knowledge of MS Dynamics is an asset
- Experience working in South Sudan is an asset
You have/ are:
- Flexible and organized in a challenging environment
- Good team player, able to listen and motivate
- Able to work in a culturally diverse environment
- Able to work with minimum supervision and be pro-active
- Able to work under pressure, occasional flexibility in terms of working off hours
- Willing to travel to the field locations where the activities are taking place
- An opportunity to use your expertise and contribute to our mission to improve the health and well-being of people living in fragile states. A highly diverse position in a small team where you can really make a difference
- A dynamic, international and culturally diverse working environment (approximately 10 passionate colleagues in Amsterdam and another 1.500 colleagues in the project countries)
- A full-time position (40 hours per week)
- Contract duration of 15 months, with possibility of extension
For more information about HealthNet TPO, please visit https://www.hntpo.org/
How to apply: To apply, please send your CV (maximum 3 pages) and application letter (including your motivation) to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 22 March 2019. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis before the closing date until the position is filled.
When applying, please include the following title in the email subject line: Senior Finance Manager_South Sudan
Acquisition as a result of this vacancy is not appreciated.