(Senior) Coordinators on Organic Policy & Guarantee
We are hiring two (2)
(Senior) COORDINATORS on
Organic Policy and Guarantee
Founded in 1972, IFOAM – Organics International works as an agent of change, advocating for true sustainability in agriculture, value chains, and consumption. We are an international non-profit organization with a membership base that spans around 100 countries, and promote a holistic approach to food systems based on the principles of health, ecology, fairness, and care.
It’s an exciting time to join our team; we are looking to strengthen our organization by hiring two (2) (Senior) Coordinators, due to colleagues being on parental leave, to complement the expertise in our Organic Policy and Guarantee team. We are looking for two experienced professionals with proven technical expertise in the areas of organic regulation, standards, verification, and related policies. We will strive to maintain the positions after the initial contract period of one year.
The Organic Policy and Guarantee team advocates for and supports the development and revision of policies, regulations as well public and private organic guarantee systems. Its goal is to achieve policies, regulatory frameworks, and national organic sector strategies that are conducive to the development of the organic sector specifically and, more generally, to the advancement of sustainability in agriculture and food systems.
As Organic Policy and Guarantee (Senior) Coordinator, you will join a culturally diverse 30-member team at our office in Bonn, Germany.
We are aiming to fill these two positions from April 2021 or as soon as possible.
Tasks and Responsibilities
As a (Senior) Coordinator you will coordinate, provide technical advice, and implement projects and consultancy missions on organic policy and guarantee systems, including organic standards, certification, regulations, support policies and national sector development strategies.
Hereunder you find the tasks and responsibilities to be taken up by two suitable candidates. We expect the candidates to be able to take up the majority but not all of the responsibilities and tasks, based on their skills and experience. As such, please clearly indicate in your cover letter how your skills and experience match with specific tasks described below.
Technical advice: Support, coordinate and give expert input on organic policies and regulations, follow up on policy processes, maintain technical overviews, write technical articles and reports, conduct stakeholder consultations, design and deliver technical coaching and trainings, organize and facilitate multi-stakeholder workshops, and deliver in-country technical consultancies; Particularly, provide expert input on policy and regulation improvement in Morocco, Kazakhstan, Madagascar and Togo, countries with which we currently work through project engagements.
Advocacy: Provide technical expertise for national/regional organic regulations in development or under revision regarding the improvement of standards and control requirements as well as the inclusion of equivalence approaches in import regulation. Follow up on major regulation revisions (i.e.: EU, US) and provide input for technical position development or contributions to consultations.
Group Certification: Guide the technical and/or advocacy work related to group certification.
Participatory Guarantee Systems (PGS): Coordinate the implementation of activities in ongoing projects in French and English, including by: supporting local PGS advisors with regular communication and technical advice, providing general project coordination and budget monitoring.
IFOAM Accreditation Program: Manage IFOAM’s role as a scheme owner and its related communication with IOAS and the ACBs. Contribute to work on the IFOAM Norms (IFOAM Standard and/or IFOAM Accreditation Requirements) and technical positions development.
Certification directory and organic certification trends: Support team members in the maintenance and further development of the directory. Provide guidance to team members conducting research on sector trends that help improve our strategic recommendations for national organic sector development strategies.
Project management: Conduct budget and implementation monitoring, general project coordination, administration and reporting (also in German), etc. for ongoing projects. Support proposal development for projects and tenders.
Representation: Speak on behalf of the organization and contribute to the global, regional and national advocacy efforts of IFOAM - Organics International
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
● MSc or BSc degree in agriculture, environmental studies, political science, development studies, project management, or related fields;
● At least 6 years of work experience in one of the above fields, of which at least 4 years in the organic agriculture sector;
● A good understanding of the global organic policy and guarantee landscape, including familiarity with public support to organic agriculture, organic regulations, organic certification and the organic movement;
● Experience with multi-stakeholder consultation processes for regulation and/or policy development;
● Experience with coordination/management of projects funded by major international development agencies and donors (for example: UN agencies, EU and GIZ);
● Excellent English, written and spoken; In addition, excellent written and spoken skills in French or German;
● Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a culturally diverse team;
● Strong ability to self-organize, take initiative and make budget decisions within the context of project budgets, and to perform hands-on tasks linked to project administration;
● High level of integrity and commitment to advancing the cause of the organic movement;
● Familiarity with Participatory Guarantee Systems (PGS);
● Familiarity with Internal Control Systems (ICS) for group certification;
● Familiarity with national/regional strategies for organic sector development;
● Expertise in the field of organic standards and/or conformity assessment;
● Familiarity with IFOAM - Organics International and the global organic movement.
● Russian, written and spoken
● Working experience in Morocco, Madagascar, Kazakhstan and (West)-Africa
● Experience with UN agencies and/other international organizations and fora;
The two (2) positions can be fulfilled in a full- or part-time basis (at least 60% FTE) with an initial contract for one (1) year with the possibility of an extension and with a probation period of six (6) months. IFOAM – Organics International offers a gross annual salary range for these positions comparable with other international NGOs, depending on the qualifications and experience.
We are open for temporary arrangements in terms of the setting and location of the incumbents, given the pandemic situation and the initial temporary character of the positions.
How to Apply
Please submit your application, clearly stating how your profile matches the required and desirable skills and experience and specifically referring to the responsibilities and tasks described.
Your application must include a cover letter, your CV and salary expectations, in one single file (PDF) and should be sent by email to email@example.com, no later than March 2nd, 2021, indicating in the subject line the title of the position you apply for. Please indicate in your cover letter the specific responsibilities and tasks that you may be able to uptake based on your skills and experience.
Additional documents may be requested at a later stage. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and will be asked to provide the names and contact details of two professional references. Incomplete applications will not be considered.