Sector Leader Agriculture - NIGER
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our unparalleled expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1400 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
Under its current Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV has more explicitly aimed for systems change during project preparation and implementation, working to strengthen institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org.
SNV is present in Niger since 1978. The current program is focused on the agriculture sector, including a project focused on youth employment/entrepreneurship. There is also a small project in the renewable energy sector and we expect to expand work in both sectors over the next year.
SNV Niger seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, result-oriented and proven professional who will work with the country team in Niger to provide leadership to SNV’s agriculture sector (including youth employment). SNV’s Agriculture Sector Leader is responsible for the overall quality of agriculture program implementation, business development / resource mobilization, steering the quality of content and overall management of the SNV Niger’s Agriculture programs. The Agriculture Sector Leader will enhance the quality and visibility of our agriculture programs and positions SNV within the national agriculture sector. The Agriculture Sector Leader reports directly to the Country Director and collaborates closely with the Global Agriculture Sector Team.
- Strategic Leadership: develop country level Agriculture strategy (including youth employment) aligned to corporate Agriculture sector strategic frameworks;
- Representation: represent SNV for the agriculture sector in Niger; build and expand relationships with donors and other partners
- Program Management: support project managers to ensure effective planning and monitoring, quality implementation, financial management, and donor reporting; promote cross-sectoral learning
- Advisory services: provides expert (sector) advise in strategic projects and programmes
- Business Development: coordinates and supervises pipeline management, contributes to developing proposals, reviews quality of proposals in collaboration with Global Marketing and Business Development Team; as needed, may also support business development for renewable energy and WASH sectors
- People Management: lead, manage, and coach two or more SNV Niger agriculture sector project managers, advisors, and consultants;
- Monitoring & Evaluation: ensure uniform understanding and practice in planning, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation of agricultural programs in line with SNV’s internal frameworks;
- Representation & Promotion: develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders to improve SNV market position and actively participate in external and internal networks
- Knowledge and learning: contributes to organizational learning by gaining and sharing knowledge and best preactices
- The Agriculture Sector Leader is member of the Country Management Team
- May serve as Acting Country Director in the absence of the Country Director
- Relevant advanced academic qualification in Agriculture, Ag Econ or similar
- 7+ years of relevant experience in the design and implementation of agriculture projects (preferably in West Africa with an understanding of the Sahel context)
- Experience with agro-pastoral value chains and market-based approaches;
- Strong knowledge and experience in climate-sensitive agriculture;
- Experience with entrepreneurship projects targeting youth and/or women a strong advantage;
- Knowledge of good governance practices, and approaches dealing with gender-sensitive, social inclusion and empowerment principles;
- Proven track record in program design, proposal writing, business development and resource mobilization; international donor relationship management;
- Proven experience with project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management;
- Strong relationship management skills;
- Self-motivated achiever with excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organizational skills.
- Professional proficiency (written and spoken) in both French and English is required.
Contract Type: International Contract
Contract Duration: 2 years with the possibility of renewal
Expected Start Date: 1 January 2021
Information Duty Station: Niamey, Niger with approximately 25% travel (within Niger and internationally)
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of Agriculture experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation before/on 25 September 2020
Please submit your application via SmartRecruiters. All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission.
- We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement -