Research Scientist or Senior Research Scientist
The International Research Institute for Climate and Society (IRI) of Columbia University invites applications for a Research Scientist/Senior Research Scientist position, to lead the ‘Climate Services and Safety Nets’ Flagship of the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture, and Food Security (CCAFS). The position will be located at the Lamont Campus of Columbia University.
The primary responsibilities will be to: 1) Provide continuity of vision and leadership for the Flagship grant, and share responsibility for integrating Flagship research into the overall CCAFS program and into CCAFS regional programs; 2) Ensure overall Flagship coherence and deliver on the Flagship grant outcomes; 3) Provide intellectual leadership in developing the knowledge, methods, capacity, and evidence needed to design interventions that help smallholder farmers to implement climate-resilient livelihood strategies; 4) Build strong cross-regional coherence and synergies and provide expertise to ensure quality of outputs and outcomes; 4) Seek out additional sources of funding to complement the Flagship grant. Appointment will be at the RS or SRS level commensurate with experience.
Minimum Degree Required: PhD
Minimum Qualifications: Applicants must have a PhD degree in agricultural economics, agricultural engineering, agrometeorology, agronomy or another field related to agricultural and/or environmental sciences and demonstrated international standing in issues related to climate variability and change, agriculture and food security. At least six years of postdoctoral experience is required for Research Scientist or ten years for Senior Research Scientist, as well as a strong publication record.
The candidate must also have:
- Demonstrated competency in communication and strong interpersonal skills, including extensive ability to motivate, inspire and promote team-work through negotiation and consensus-building.
- Interest and experience in ensuring that science outputs lead to expected outcomes and impact.
- Familiarity with the research agendas of the CGIAR and related international programs.
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken. A good working knowledge of other major international languages would be a considerable advantage.
The CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS) grant is a major collaborative endeavor among CGIAR international agricultural Centers and numerous partners. CCAFS was launched in 2011 and will continue at least until the end of 2021. For further details, please consult: https://ccafs.cgiar.org/
The overall goal of CCAFS is to catalyze positive change towards climate-smart agriculture, food systems and landscapes, and thereby contribute to poverty alleviation, food and nutritional security, and natural resources management. CCAFS currently focusses on five regions – Latin America, West Africa, East Africa, South Asia and Southeast Asia. Research is closely linked with partner activities to stimulate policy and farm-level change. CCAFS works with implementing partners, local organizations, and climate risk management service providers to build field-based evidence and to understand how to strengthen institutions and services through better use of climate information. It also works with policy partners to understand what works for coordinated policy and governance, as well as with large agencies and companies driving implementation, to understand what works for investment to reach scale.
The Flagship Leader will be appointed by International Research Institute for Climate and Society (IRI) and will report to senior management in IRI as well as being accountable to the CCAFS for meeting programmatic objectives of the grant. This position is assisted by a full-time program manager.
Appointments are made on a fiscal year basis and are eligible for renewal each July 1, contingent upon performance and funding.
Search will remain open for at least 30 days after the ad appears and will continue until the position is filled.
Columbia University benefits are offered with this Officer of Research appointment.
This position is located in Rockland County, NY at the Lamont Campus of The Earth Institute at Columbia University.
Please visit our online application site at http://pa334.peopleadmin.com/postings/2728
for further information about this position and to submit:
- A cover letter not to exceed three pages, including: a) vision for taking this Flagship forward, (b) what would be achieved after 12 months in the post, (c) why you see yourself in a leadership position such as this one, and (d) current or recent project participation.
- A curriculum vitae
- Names and full contact details of at least three referees, including telephone and email address. Further references may be requested.
- A detailed statement of research interests (2-5 pages)
- Copies of 3 to 5 selected publications in a relevant topic by the applicant
For additional information about the position, please contact Alison Rose at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer –Race/Gender/Disability/Veteran.
Prospective candidates must apply online.