Research Lead, Climate Smart Villages (For Myanmar Nationals Only)
The International Institute of Rural Reconstruction (IIRR) is a community development and hands-on training and research organization with 55 years of experience. A registered non-profit in the US with (501)c status, IIRR’s Headquarters and Regional Centre for Asia are located in the Philippines. In Myanmar, it is recently registered as an international development organization with a Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of Agriculture Research, MOALI.
About the Job
The Research Lead for the Climate Smart Villages Project is tasked with leading in-country action research designed to develop, promote and demonstrate the value of climate smart villages as a platform for local adaptation in Asia. He/She will work with the current team in the CSV project of IIRR Myanmar. This action research is a regional project for 2 years involving the Philippines. Cambodia and Myanmar. The post holder, a Myanmar national, will be based in Yangon, Myanmar and is expected to conduct data analysis using statistical tools and to produce journal research articles, research reports and posters. This position reports to the Country Director, of IIRR Myanmar and works in close coordination with the Research Project Coordinator at the IIRR Regional Center for Asia in the Philippines.
The main responsibility of the post is to lead and coordinate all in-country activities related to the research on climate smart villages in Myanmar as well as lead in the production of academically sound research papers and outputs. The post-holder is expected to:
- Manage and ensure the implementation of action research project at ground level as demanded by the research design.
- Ensure the over-all coordination with partners and stakeholders in Myanmar.
- Develop and ensure adherence to action research protocols including data integrity, privacy and security.
- Supervise the field research team in the implementation of day-to-day activities in the project in Myanmar.
- Conduct data analysis using various statistical analysis tools such as Stata, SPSS or R.
- Lead in the delivery of action research outputs and other related project documents such as but not limited to research reports, journal papers, activity documentation, working papers and the like.
- Implement other related tasks as assigned by IIRR country director related to the advancement of IIRR’s research agenda in Myanmar.
- With strong research background and a Master’s degree in Agriculture, Agro-Economics, Development Studies and Data Analytics.
- With at least 5 years of strong research experience: including research design, implementation, data collection, data analysis and research reporting, preferably in an NGO setting in Myanmar
- Have training and facilitation skills using various participatory tools in data collection at the community level
- Ability to write, edit and produce high quality research reports including peer-reviewed journals, research magazines and books in English is required.
- Can effectively work in an international multidisciplinary and multicultural work environment and is a team player
- Computer proficient and uses various applications such as Microsoft Office suite and proficiency in statistical package such as SPSS, Stata or “R” is a requirement.
- Experience in effective communication with the local and national government of Myanmar for reporting and implementing of project activities
Interested applicants are requested to submit the following:
(1) Motivation letter highlighting the required qualifications and experience related to the job description. Indicate in the letter the title of the Master’s thesis or dissertation.
(2) Indicate salary expectation in the motivation letter
(3) Curriculum vitae
(4) Contact information (telephone, email)
(5) Three (3) references that are former supervisors of the applicant, with address and contact email or phone numbers
Submit the applications not later than June 30, 2020 5:00PM Yangon Time to the following:
Wilson John Barbon
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for an interview. This is an urgent hiring with expected start of contract on July 15, 2020. Online interviews will be conducted even before deadline of submission of applications.
IIRR is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage qualified women to apply.