Regional Project Officer
Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) Europe is an international Catholic organisation. Its mission is to accompany, to serve and to advocate for refugees and forcibly displaced people. The JRS Europe team in Brussels shares this mission by engaging in policy and advocacy work, project management, fundraising, communications, and coordination. The finance work focuses on projects in favour of forcibly displaced people who might be in immigration detention or are at risk of becoming destitute, that work towards the social inclusion and integration of refugees in society, the European policies of border management and asylum, and Awareness raising with young people to better understand the situation of refugees. The JRS Europe Regional Office has working relations with funding agencies, including the EU agencies, as well with private donors.
The JRS Europe Regional Office coordinates activities of 22 JRS country offices and country-based projects. The Brussels-based regional team includes six permanent staff members and volunteers.
The JRS Europe Regional Project Officer assists the Regional Programme Coordinator and the Regional Office team in proposing and implementing regional programme strategies. Project Officer will have specific responsibilities regarding JRS Europe’s common project applications, monitoring, implementation, closure, and auditing of projects.
S/he comes with sound analytical skills and a creative mindset and is in tune with JRS mission and way of working. The Project Officer is able to engage with fellow team members in the Regional Office, as well as JRS national offices’ teams in working towards a common vision. S/he comes with good networking skills and is available to travel to JRS national offices to assist them.
The Project Officer reports to the Programme Coordinator and will be responsible for the following tasks:
• Responsible for ensuring effective implementation of the project activities and task assigned to attain goals and objectives of the projects.
• Responsible for overseeing project work-plan performance, participating in project planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring, reporting and programme development in project site.
• Initiate planning for project.
• Developing project proposals and project documentation.
• Supporting the Programme Coordinator in all aspects of the implementation.
• Establish monitoring and evaluation systems including indicators.
• Assist and participate in project events.
• Report on project activities according to project timeframes.
• Prepare financial and narrative reports.
• Do monitoring and supervision of activities implemented in the project’s sites to ensure effective implementation.
• Participate in project review.
Qualifications and Experience
The post-holder will have the following essential experiences, skills, knowledge, and abilities:
• Permission to work in Belgium.
• University studies in international relations, politics, business administration, law or equivalent.
• Specific studies in international development, human rights, migration...
• Proven experience and substantive understanding of NGO budgeting, accounting, and reporting.
• Proven experience managing private and public grants, with a special focus on EU funded grants.
• Ability to work effectively in a cross-cultural environment with a multi-national staff.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
• A positive, constructive attitude to meeting challenges, solving problems, and identifying opportunities.
• Ability to manage several tasks simultaneously in a busy office environment and to meet deadlines.
• Availability to travel to country offices in Europe.
Core Values and Ethics
• Enthusiasm for the mission of JRS and willingness to advocate based on the JRS mission and vision.
• High integrity and honesty.
• Field experience in working with refugees, migrants or vulnerable social groups is highly valued.
• Previous professional experience with a faith-based organization is an asset.
• Ability to speak and write fluently and compellingly in English and French.
• Working knowledge of additional European languages.
Terms of appointment
• This is a part-time position (30 hours per week).
• We offer a 12-months contract.
• The desired starting date is immediately.
• The salary offered for this position is between € 2.800 and € 3.200 gross full time per month, according to experience and skills. All conditions and additional benefits are according to Belgian legislation.
How to Apply
Candidates should send CV and cover letter written in English by e-mail to: Europe.email@example.com with the subject Project Officer Opening including your first and last name. There is no deadline for the receipt of applications, candidate´s applications will be examined on a rolling basis, so as to start immediately or at earliest convenience.
JRS Europe is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, colour, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability, or age.