Regional Director, MENA
Hivos was founded in 1968, inspired by humanist values. We believe that human life in its many forms is valuable, and that people are filled with potential. Living a life in freedom and dignity, with respect for each other and the planet, leads to greater individual well-being and fair, vibrant societies. The 21st century has witnessed many positive developments that hold hope for the near future. Formal democracy has spread during the past few decades. Absolute poverty and mortality rates are on the decline. A new group of emerging economies is on the rise, and new technologies promote economic development, and boost international civic activism and innovative solutions.
Progress is, however, unequal and has come at a high cost. Economic gains are unevenly spread across countries, classes, sexes, and age groups. The current globalized system and its increasing inequalities, resources depletion, global warming, and governance failure are not sustainable in the long run. The depletion of natural resources, loss of crop diversity, and climate change pose major consequences for us all, especially the most vulnerable people in the world. Many feel that they are the losers of globalization, fueling nationalist and populist movements that fulminate against external influences or outsiders – especially migrants, (sexual) minorities activists, and non-governmental organizations. Freedom of expression, assembly and association are under threat in nearly half the world’s states. Discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex people is increasing. As a consequence of all this, tens of millions of people are on the move, fleeing the effects of climate change and human rights violations.
The RD for MENA represents Hivos within the region and sets the example for operational excellence. S/he supports corporate management in the development and application of Hivos’s strategy, style and agenda and reports on the realisation. The RD may also be tasked with corporate responsibilities or thematic leadership for the entire organisation.
The RD shapes Hivos’s strategy and innovations for beneficiaries, partners and donors by providing viable investment opportunities, securing the necessary financing and other resources, influencing the agenda and delivering tangible solutions. The RD is a people manager and creates a professional infrastructure and an open, creative and dynamic working spirit. S/he delegates responsibilities and roles to her/his colleagues and is responsible for maintaining a dynamic team. The RD contributes to both the social results and the financial sustainability.
Knowledge and experience
- Academic level of working and thinking in a relevant work field
- More than five years of experience as a manager in complex operations in an international context
- Proven experience and demonstrable knowledge of working in Northern Africa and/or the Middle East with societal and civic activists and organisations
- Thorough understanding of the political and societal dynamics in the region and the position on international organisations in here
- Excellent communication and interpersonal relationship skills both inside (staff and colleagues) and outside of the organisation (networks, donor agencies, other stakeholders)
- Knowledge and proven understanding of financial management and business administration in particular within a professional service-oriented organisation in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Experience with a diverse and multicultural team
- More than workable level of the Arabic language and fluency in the English language (reading, writing, speaking)
Key Competencies and Skills
- Level skills