Brooke is an international charity that protects and improves the lives of horses, donkeys and mules that support the livelihoods of millions of people in the developing world. Brooke focuses on working in urban areas with young people who use donkeys to transport goods by cart and in semi-arid areas with women donkey owners who use their equines for domestic purposes, as well as with children who interact with donkeys on a daily basis at home or in their communities, to increase their knowledge, awareness and participation in donkey welfare. In addition, Brooke works with communities affected by low rainfall to increase
their preparedness and resilience for donkey care during times of drought, and with national governments and intergovernmental organisations to put in place policies that lead to improved animal welfare.
Brooke East Africa seeks a dynamic, future-oriented Regional Director to design and deliver a strategic and cost-effective programme impacting on working equines in the East Africa region. The post-holder must interpret the potential of Brooke’s global strategy locally and design and deliver a growing and innovative programme that contributes to the achievement of the organisation’s goals in this strategic period and beyond.
Strategic and inspirational leadership, ability to build and maintain partnerships, manage and learn from knowledge,strong communication skills, and the ability to build coalitions and consensus are key strengths needed - along with the ability to innovate, mobilize resources, manage change, and build a strong organizational team.
The Regional Director will establish and sustain productive relationships with government officials, donors and strategic partners. As a senior leader the Regional Director will contribute to Brooke International’s global strategy, share knowledge and support the generation of evidence to inform Brooke’s global programming. S/he will also be accountable for competent operational and risk management including the proper management, well-being and safety of Brooke East Africa staff and the proper stewardship of Brooke East Africa resources.
In carrying out these tasks, the Regional Director will model and ensure systematic practice of Brooke’s core values, identify new ways of working and motivate the teams toward the organizational vision.S/he will encourage on-going staff development to motivate and strengthen team resilience in the face of change.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Knowledge and experience
• 6 – 8 years experience in senior management with significant knowledge of livelihoods, women’s economic empowerment
or similar work.
• Excellent knowledge of the East Africa region as it relates to sustainable development
• Knowledge of Sphere and other key humanitarian standards including sustainable livelihoods debates
• Knowledge of local/ regional accountability frameworks/ legal environment
• Knowledge of project design, Logframes and MEAL frameworks
• Knowledge of strategic frameworks and strategy development models
• Knowledge of standards associated with programming in animal welfare and equine welfare in particular would be an
• Excellent knowledge of IT programmes (Microsoft Office Suite) and social networking platforms for use in your work preferred
• Understanding of Risk Assessment and Security Risk Mitigation preferred
• Leadership of teams to establish strategic direction, resulting in budgeted plans and allocation of work with high performance
• Proven experience in recruiting, managing and developing an efficient and effective team with the ability to support and devolve responsibility
• Proven experience in establishing and managing agreements with donors as well as local governmental and nongovernmental
• Ability to establish learning and reflection processes
• Skilful in managing ambiguity and change
• Excellent organisational and planning skills and the ability to work under pressure often to strict deadlines
• Excellent spoken and written English. Some knowledge of local working languages advantage