Project Officer for the Police Reform Support Programme
The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is the most important of the partner countries of Belgium’s governmental development cooperation. Enabel has three hundred employees in the DRC, including about thirty expatriates. Belgium is the country’s third bilateral donor.
Since the 2018 elections, the DRC is experiencing its first peaceful political power transition with new authorities committing to reform the security sector with a view to restoring the rule of law and stability in the country. In line with the vision of the new Head of State, the government approved a second five-year Police reform Action Plan (PAQ2) for 2020 – 2024.
In line with the European Union Council decision of 9 December 2019 for Reciprocal EU Re-engagement in the field of security sector governance and reform, the EU approved the second Justice Reform Support Programme (PARJ II – 11th EDF) at the end of 2019. The Police Reform Support Programme (PARP – Phase III) intends to pursue the holistic engagement in this sector and support reforms building on the EUPOL DRC mission and the European Development Fund programmes, on the Instrument contributing to Stability and Peace and other European initiatives.
The global objective is to contribute to peace, security and the strengthening of the rule of law by improving governance, the protection of human rights and the fight against impunity and corruption in the DRC. The four specific objectives are:
- improvement of the implementation of police reform and accountability;
- strengthening professionalism of the police and the criminal justice chain;
- improvement of human resources management;
- operationalisation of community policing to restore the confidence of the population.
A tender that was jointly submitted for the implementation of this programme by Enabel and Coginta, in association with the DCAF (Centre pour la Gouvernance du Secteur de la Sécurité) and the Belgian Integrated Police, was preselected.
The action targets the Police Nationale Congolaise and will be implemented in Kinshasa and in 3 pilot provinces, namely Equateur, (Eastern) Kasai and Ituri.
In your area of expertise and under the supervision of the project manager,
- You implement the project activities that are assigned to you;
- You provide the necessary technical input for achieving the expected project results;
- You contribute to quality assurance as well as knowledge building and knowledge management;
- You contribute to change and capacity development of partners.
You are a full part of the project team and are committed to its values and vision; you reflect a dynamic and engaged image of Enabel and the local team in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
In addition, you regularly update your knowledge of the sector (meetings, (e-)conferences, participation to expert networks…) and share it with your colleagues with a view to improving practices and know-how in relation to the project.
You are committed to introducing new technologies into the learning process of staff members of the project and of the partners and you foster digital development with Enabel’s Digital for Development (D4D) experts.
- Master’s degree in social sciences, political sciences, criminology, law… or equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in the area of security sector reform;
- An earlier experience in the area of professional training is an asset;
- Professional expatriation experience on the African continent also is an asset.
Required skills and knowledge
- You show you are an initiative builder allowing your colleagues to count on your commitment to the team;
- You build strong proposals and bring innovative solutions to issues you encounter;
- You are able to work and evolve in a changing environment;
- You are familiar with results-based management;
- You are familiar with theories of change;
- You master knowledge management and knowledge building;
- You have a strong affinity with and easily use various digital tools and new technologies;
- You are fluent in spoken and written French or Dutch. Considering the working language of the DRC and the international environment in which you work, excellent knowledge of French and English is required.
You commit to respecting the vision, mission and values of Enabel (https://www.enabel.be/content/enabel-vision-mission-values).
We offer you
- A fascinating and varied job in an international environment.
- A contract for a term of 24 months based in Kinshasa with regular travel to the (still to be defined) pilot zones.
- A salary package that comprises the monthly gross salary, in accordance with our salary scales (Class 5), and Enabel expat benefits such as a remoteness, assignment and hardship allowance, (capped) coverage of housing expenses, a moving compensation, an installation compensation, (capped) coverage of school expenses for children accompanying, an insurance package for the whole family, including repatriation insurance, and an annual round-trip flight ticket for each family member.
- In case of expatriation without the (dependent) members of the family, up to six additional round-trip flight tickets to the country of origin or another destination (capped in accordance with Enabel rules).
The amounts vary in function of relevant recognised experience for the function and family composition.
Following this procedure a recruitment reserve of successful applicants may be constituted which may be sourced in the next three years for similar job openings.
Every person who fulfils the conditions listed in our job advertisements may apply. Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or any other factor other than competence.
Are you interested?
Only applications submitted via the above link will be considered.