Project Leader (Small Arms Control)
BICC is an independent, non-profit organization that has been dealing with a wide range of global issues in the field of peace and conflict research for more than 20 years. BICC stands for critical, problem-oriented, policy relevant research and conducts also advisory and capacity development projects.
BICC is recruiting at the earliest possible date a Project leader Small Arms Control
Full-time position / up to wage group 14 TV-L / initial contract period: 2 years
BICC is supporting regional, sub-regional and national organizations in Sub-Saharan Africa in the control of small arms and light weapons (SALW). We provide advice to the African Union peace and security department (PSD) as well as the small arms and light weapons division of ECOWAS. In East Africa, we closely cooperate with the Regional Centre on Small Arms (RECSA). An international team has been working in this project, funded by the German Federal Foreign Office (AA), since 2016. The project is closely connected to the topics of disarmament, demobilization and reintegration (DDR) and security sector reform (SSR). In its work, BICC is also deliberately focussing on a combination of science and research with advisory activities and practice, resulting in a ‘knowledge circle’.
Key responsibilities and tasks:
- Leadership of the advisory project on SALW control (professional lead and coordination, conceptional project design, project management, responsibility for achieving the goals, budget responsibility).
- Representation and coordination of the project with our partner organizations, other international organizations and vis à vis the AA.
- Participation in the development and acquisition of new projects as well as the strategic further development of the advisory services of the institute.
- Participation in the generation of studies on SALW control and/or DDR.
- University degree (Master or PhD) in social sciences or related discipline. Ideally additional qualifications or focus on peace, conflict and security, conflict prevention or development cooperation.
- Several years of work experience in international contexts.
- Professional leadership experience; experience in working in international teams (possibly at different locations) desirable.
- Wide knowledge in the area of SALW control, DDR and/or SSR.
- Willingness of frequent travel, also to areas of tense security situations.
- Very good knowledge of English and German is mandatory. Knowledge of French is an asset.
- Good communication and negotiation skills; high inter-cultural skills.
What we offer:
This position is initially limited to a two-year contract with the option of a longer-term perspective. Payment follows the collective wage agreement for the public service of the Länder (TV-L), up to wage group 14 and includes social benefits customary at BICC.
BICC supports the work-life balance of its staff through a highly flexible work time system and is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications by severely disabled persons.
Please send your application to Mrs. Susanna Balkenhol (email@example.com) solely by email. It should include a cover letter, CV and certificates and consist of one pdf, max. 5 MB. Please indicate “4.18” in the reference line. Mrs Balkenhol will also be available for questions.
Applications will be reviewed immediately after reception. Therefore, interviews can take place at any time.
Date of publication: 5 June 2018
bicc \ Internationales Konversionszentrum Bonn \ Bonn International Center for Conversion GmbH
Pfarrer-Byns-Straße 1, 53121 Bonn, Germany, +49 (0)228 911 96-0, Fax -22, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.bicc.de