Programmes and Impact Director
About Global Canopy
Global Canopy is an innovative environmental organisation that targets the market forces driving two thirds of tropical deforestation worldwide. Since 2001, Global Canopy have been testing new approaches to tackling deforestation, and guiding companies, investors and governments worldwide to think differently about our planet’s forests.
Global Canopy brings unprecedented transparency to the supply chains of commodities that drive the majority of deforestation worldwide – and to the trillions of dollars in investment and lending that finance them.
Global Canopy is looking for a Programmes and Impact Director who will be accountable for maintaining the strategic focus, sustainability and impact of Global Canopy’s programmes.
The Programmes and Impact Director will:
- Effectively operationalise Global Canopy’s strategy, through programmes which are well resourced and well managed, and that deliver on their expected outcomes.
- Possess an outward-facing orientation, improving our ability to harness information to enable, influence and increase accountability for the private and public sector organisations that Global Canopy target.
- Have an exciting combination of responsibilities, strengthening our structures to ensure high-quality and efficient delivery in line with agreed objectives, coaching and mentoring staff, and strengthening a culture of monitoring, learning and impact. Working closely with other senior staff, they will have oversight of key programmatic partnerships and fundraising efforts.
- Be someone who naturally builds positive relationships across the organisation,working collaboratively and creating buy-in through influence and persuasion.
- Be adaptable, flexing their approach to different situations and people.
- As a member of the management team, play a leading role in setting the culture of the organisation and modelling Global Canopy’s values.
- Have shared responsibility for the organisational capability and ensuring that Global Canopy continues to evolve according to the strategy that they will help to keep fresh and relevant.
- Contribute to quarterly board meetings, with accountability for programmatic implementation and impact.
To be successful in this role, these are the things that will matter most:
- Impact through influence – experience of working strategically and employing systems thinking. Skilled at communications, outreach and influencing work, within programmes where impact is achieved by enabling or increasing accountability for other organisations.
- Experienced senior manager – building, developing, and leading diverse and high performing teams. Management within a matrix organisation. Ability to inspire teams to collaborate on complex work.
- Sector expertise – track record in sectors and with audiences relevant to GC’s programmes: sustainability, climate change, international development; private sector,governments, civil society and the media.
Skills and experience
- A coaching and mentoring approach. Able to challenge in a supportive way, helping others to learn
- Outstanding at building positive relationships. Works collaboratively, creating buy-in through influence and persuasion.
- Solutions and action-oriented; able to prioritise and focus on results without getting distracted. Sees work through to completion.
- Strategic planning & operationalisation of strategic plans
- Able to manage and oversee complex programmes, including responsibility for planning, reporting and monitoring processes.
- Experience of building relationships, and partnering with other organisations to leverage impact, improve delivery and raise funds.
- Outstanding communication skills, across the organisation and with donors and stakeholders at the highest level.
- Expertise with project/programme management frameworks, and monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Experience in developing, managing and leading programmes within an NGO setting
- Experience working on global projects and with people from different backgrounds and cultures and prepared to travel overseas.
- Knowledge and experience of working with the finance sector desirable.