Policy and Planning Specialist – National Teacher Development Plan (NTDP)
- Opportunity to contribute to the education sector in Vanuatu
- Duration: Short Term inputs up until December 2020, up to 50 days per annum
- Based in Port Vila, Vanuatu
On behalf of the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Coffey is managing the delivery of support and technical assistance to the Vanuatu Ministry of Education and Training (MoET) as part of the Vanuatu Education Support Program (VESP II). We support the MoE in implementing its reform program that is focused on children across Vanuatu having better access to an inclusive, quality basic education, as well as supporting the management and allocation of education resources through evidence-based decision making.
VESP II commenced in February 2019 and will help build on the Ministry’s reforms to date and support teachers and students into the senior Primary years. As part of VESP II, the Australia Awards Vanuatu (AAV) will also be supported.
Coffey through VESPII is seeking applications for the position of Policy and Planning Specialist – National Teacher Development Plan to join this program.
The Ministry of Education and Training (MOET) has developed a draft policy that will start to address the large number of practicing teachers who do not have a formal teaching qualification and require the opportunity to upgrade towards a Diploma or the new Bachelor of Education. The Ministry Policy is yet to be finalised and will need to be accompanied by a draft plan that can also be endorsed by the MOET. The Policy and Planning Specialist – NTDP will support the MOET Director and other Ministry staff to finalise the draft for three outcomes.
The Specialist will use this opportunity to strengthen and extend the existing high level of MOET staff expertise, so that the proposed policy, statements and costed plans are achievable, have support from key Ministry stakeholders and developed in a way that MOET can consider for its own or potential funding.
Some key responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the Director to work across MOET agencies and complete the Draft Teacher Upgrade Policy Statement that reflects the context, constraints and the resources
- A draft NTDP policy that can act as the foundation for the closed 5-year implementation plan which will require the endorsement and support of multiple stakeholders across and external to the MOET
- A draft approach to the ongoing PD of Ministry teachers and leadership staff in schools, in a way that enables MOET to coordinate and align the many PD opportunities that are available and places them in coherent and workable framework.
- All policy and planning documents will be produced in English and in French for MOET consideration
- In all policy and planning work that supports the Ministry to finalise its approach to teacher qualification upgrading and PD, GEDSI will be an integral part, to enable the best access and inclusion in the qualification upgrade program as is possible for Ministry principals and teaching staff in schools across Vanuatu.
We are seeking applicants with a tertiary qualification in Education or relevant field, a post-graduate qualification with specialisation in teacher and leadership development is desirable. It is essential that the successful candidate demonstrates experience in supporting policies and plans to develop HRD policies and approaches, more specifically in ways that support development of the qualification of teachers and school leaders. You will also have demonstrated extensive of working in teams and mentoring and coaching professional colleagues from different social and cultural backgrounds. Proven knowledge of Pre-service teacher education and alternative modes of study to upgrade teacher qualifications as well as knowledge of approaches to teacher and leadership professional development and how these can be linked to qualifications and accreditation/registration requirements. Experience in the education sector in the Pacific or another developing country is highly desirable. The successful candidate will be an effective communicator with excellent attention to detail and have the ability to work in a cooperative manner as part of a dynamic team.
How to Apply
The position is classified as Discipline Category B, Level TBC (depending on the successful candidates’ relevant skills and experience) under the DFAT Adviser Remuneration Framework. For full details please view via http://dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/Documents/adviser-remuneration-framework-2016.pdf
For a detailed position description and to apply for this position please visit www.coffey.com/careers click on ‘career opportunities’ and search for the reference number 497849.
Applications close 5.00pm (Port Vila time) 18th June 2019
For further enquiries please contact: email@example.com
Vanuatu Education Support Program Phase II (VESP II) and Australia Awards Vanuatu is managed by Coffey, a Tetra Tech company, on behalf of the Australian Government
Coffey is an equal opportunity employer of choice and is committed to child protection.