Location: Mutsamudu, Anjouan, Union of Comoros, with frequent missions to the other islands, and abroad
Application deadline: 20th November 2019
Start date: From January 2020
Conditions: Salary 2700 euros/month, annual return flight, insurance cover. Terms are negotiable based on experience and family situation. Two-year, renewable, local contract.
How to apply: Please send a CV of no more than two pages and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates retained for interview will be contacted.
NB. Only candidates with very strong French will be considered
The Comoros archipelago is a group of four volcanic islands located between Mozambique and Madagascar. The islands boast magnificent landscapes but suffer from one of the highest levels of deforestation in the world, endangering the livelihoods of the rural population as well as endemic biodiversity. Over the last decade, Dahari has developed an integrated and unique intervention model to combat these problems thanks to the support of internationally-renowned institutions including the International Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), CIRAD, Blue Ventures, and the Universities of Bangor and Oxford (UK). With a proven track record in the south of Anjouan and having gained the trust of donors and partners, we are now seeking to expand our interventions on Anjouan, as well as to the islands of Grande Comore and Mohéli.
Who are we?
Founded in February 2013 following a five-year pilot project, Dahari has quickly established itself as one of the leading NGOs in the Comoros with a multicultural team of 75 full- and part-time employees. Dahari's holistic intervention model covers agricultural and agro-forestry development, forest management around watersheds, ecological research, conservation of biodiversity, and the management of marine and coastal resources. The NGO also manages ecotourism visits. Our work is gaining increasing recognition, thanks in particular to the technical support of our international partners.
The last six years has seen Dahari successfully expand from a team of 23 to 75 employees, with the annual budget increasing from €70,000 to €500,000, allowing for the implementation of new programs and an increase in the number of villages supported from 9 to 17. The development and expansion of activities are guided by our 2015 to 2020 strategic plan, implemented by an experienced and close-knit team whose core have been working together for over a decade.
For more information we invite you to visit:
- Our website: www.daharicomores.org (in the process of being updated)
- Our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/daharicomores
What will be your role?
The Operations Director will work in concert with the Comorian Executive and Technical Directors as part of a three-person leadership team, with the following specific responsibilities:
- Manage international partnerships and represent Dahari at the international level;
- Manage fundraising, relationships with funders, and the development of funding proposals;
- Supervise and assist in the evolution of Dahari programmes in all its intervention sectors;
- Work to improve Dahari’s administrative, financial and human resource management;
- Support the professional development of Dahari’s management team;
- Help to develop a detailed strategic plan for 2020 to 2023 and ensure that its objectives are realised.
We are looking for a motivated and dynamic person with the abilities and experiences listed below. They must share Dahari’s values to ensure synergy with the team, and be committed to driving the NGO forwards.
Essential skills and experience
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in rural development, environmental management, or related fields;
- At least five years of experience working on conservation or development initiatives;
- At least five years of experience managing teams, projects, and partnerships;
- Strong fundraising skills and experience;
- Strong understanding of development and conservation issues at international and local levels;
- Fluent French and strong English, spoken and written;
- Strong organisational and time management skills, independent and rigorous.
- Experience in managing local NGOs;
- Technical knowledge and experience in Dahari's areas of intervention, and in administrative and financial management;
- Experience in scaling up programmes and associated institutional transformation.