Manager, Digital Ecosystems
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Manager, Digital Ecosystems to develop and implement the institute’s digital ecosystems to support the delivery of ILRI’s research.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
This position focuses on managing all of ILRI’s web-based systems (both internal and external), providing support to open access and open data initiatives, and strengthening internal collaboration through ILRI’s digital transformation efforts. The successful candidate will possess the advisory and delivery expertise to oversee ILRIs’ web-ecosystem and to contribute to the digital workplace of the future.
1. Management and Leadership
- Develop and guide ILRI’s digital ecosystem by leading Communications and Knowledge Management (CKM) activities related to digital transformation in online media, curation, information & knowledge management and open access to meet the needs of ILRI, encompassing priority setting, planning, team management, reporting and evaluation to meet ILRI’s strategic objectives;
- Develop and guide CKM activities related to the Digital Workplace.
- Contribute to the ILRI-wide communications and Knowledge Management (KM) community of practice and leadership group, sharing and communicating work updates and lessons, participate in CKM learning, reviewing and planning activities;
- Encourage and engage in CKM foresight, experimentation and innovation – new products, services, metrics, projects.
2. Web and Digital Platforms and Tools
- Lead the development of ILRI’s digital ecosystem, the platform through which we relate, engage and collaborate with colleagues, partners and clients.
- Develop and guide ILRI’s web and social media presence.
3. Digital transformation and digital workplace
- Develop and guide ILRI’s digital workplace initiative harnessing digital transformation to enable innovation
- Develop an enabling online environment to facilitate improved collaboration of research and service teams
4. Information Services and Knowledge Management
- Search out new innovations in digital communications, knowledge sharing and collaboration
- Contribute to development of ILRI’s communication and knowledge management strategy and platform
5. Open Access Platforms and Open Data
- Support development of suitable policies, standards and taxonomies to facilitate access to and re-use of ILRI research products and meet its open access commitments;
- Support the development of ILRI’s institutional repository (linked to CGSpace);
- Work closely with other stakeholders/ILRI functions in open access developments.
- Any other duties as may be assigned.
- Master’s degree in a relevant subject.
- At least 10 years’ experience in research or science communication, online collaboration and information/knowledge management, ideally in an international development context
- Good knowledge and practical experience of different approaches and ways to promote research achievements and results to various audiences including end-users and investors
- Ability to work with tight deadlines without compromising quality of outputs
- Be self-motivated, able to work independently in a small team and across different locations
- Strong record of innovation, creativity and problem solving
- Excellent interpersonal and team interaction skills and capacities, ideally in multicultural environments
- High digital literacy: standard office applications, virtual sharing and collaboration platforms, social media and publishing.
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Position level: This is an internationally recruited position at job level HG18
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes medical insurance, life insurance and allowances for: education, housing, home leave, and annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
Applications: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the role and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 3 November 2019. The position title and reference number: MDE/ IP&P/ 2019 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the online application.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Qualified women applicants are encouraged to apply
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org