Livelihoods and Empowerment Fundraising Consultant
Following a decade of humanitarian work in Iraq and the broader Middle East implementing grants with the US government and major blue chip corporations, this Fall we are going through an exciting rebranding and focusing of our mission - to provide access to opportunity for all through skills and entrepreneurship training and rights and empowerment education.
In support of this new focus, the Livelihoods and Empowerment Fundraising Consultant will assist us in identifying, targeting and securing grants and general funding from Foundation, Corporate, Institutional and Major Individual donors looking to invest in our sectors of work, specifically in the MENA region.
Consultancy Location and Duration
Estimated 1-2 days per week for 6 months
We envision the consultant working remotely, with periodic in person meetings a plus if located in the Washington DC area.
We are also able to provide the consultant with a desk if they would prefer to work from our office.
About Aspire International
Aspire International targets the untapped potential of the Middle East’s greatest resource – its people.
They face a stifling lack of opportunity due to chronic unemployment and cultural barriers, especially for women and youth. In Iraq over 50% of the population are under the age of 19. This new generation wants to be independent, free, and respected in their community. They must fight against the odds to achieve their dreams.
With Aspire, they can win their fight.
Since 2010 our team has implemented livelihoods, empowerment, and human rights programs in almost every governorate of Iraq and the KRI. Our model is centered on the use of local people, partners, and purchases wherever possible. This approach is cost effective, supports the local economy, and permits easy access to communities with nominal security concerns.
It also ensures that our programs receive local buy-in, from community leaders to directorate and federal officials, and are appropriate to the local cultural context. This has enabled us to tackle highly sensitive rights and empowerment issues such as women’s rights and combating gender-based violence. We serve all in need, with a special focus on women and girls as the most effective investment in the future of their communities.
The consultancy will be for an initial period of six months with a view to extension pending progress to securing the first major grants and donations on a 6-9 month time horizon. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Identify funding opportunities for Aspire’s livelihoods and empowerment programs from:
- Corporations / CSR
- Institutional Donors
- Major individual donors
- Develop Aspire’s relationships across these four categories.
- In coordination with Aspire staff, plan, develop and submit funding proposals and grant applications.
- Secure major grants and donations.
- Spot additional fundraising opportunities and raise awareness of the organization’s work
- External fundraising consultant with extensive proven experience of putting together and packaging high quality fundraising proposals and grant applications.
- Proven track record of securing grants and donations for livelihoods and empowerment programming a must.
- A minimum of five years experience in fundraising.
- Have an interest in, and commitment to, Aspire’s cause, and a passion for selling it.
- Ability to research, identify and assess potential funding opportunities for Aspire amongst institutional donors, trusts, foundations, corporations and major individual givers to diversify and increase revenue streams.
- Must be adept at people management, building long-term relationships for Aspire with potential donors
- Good communicator with the ability to persuasively explain Aspire’s cause.
- Existing network of contacts and established working relationships with Foundations, corporations, institutions and major individual donors.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision as well as effectively within a team.
- Ability to provide references, ideally within relevant professional sector and geographical areas.
- Previous experience in the MENA region a plus.
- Familiarity with Salesforce CRM a plus.
- Ability to meet face to face in Washington DC where necessary a plus.
Qualified candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, and sample of work to "firstname.lastname@example.org" and include "Livelihoods and Empowerment Fundraising Consultant" in the email subject. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be filled as soon as a qualified candidate is identified. Aspire International is only able to contact candidates of interest.