Literacy and Numeracy Adviser
- Specialist adviser opportunity to support development of the education sector in Tuvalu
- Initial 18 month full time contract, with possible short term inputs thereafter
- Based in Funafuti, Tuvalu, with the possibility of some travel to the outer islands and to Suva, Fiji
The Australian Government has established the Fiji Program Support Facility (the Facility) to support and implement Australian Government assistance in sectors including education, health, CSO engagement, emergency preparedness and response and Australia Awards programs in Fiji. The Facility also supports the Australia Awards and education programs in Tuvalu.
Support to education in Tuvalu is an important component of the Facility. The focus of the support is on improved quality of learning for children, particularly in literacy and numeracy in years 1-4; increased access to Technical Vocational Skills Development (TVSD) as the second pathway to education; and improved functioning of the education system.
The Literacy and Numeracy Adviser will work closely with Ministry of Education Youth and Sports (MEYS) colleagues in Tuvalu to review and improve literacy and numeracy strategies and will assist in facilitating the review and revision of the Language, Literacy and Numeracy curriculum and syllabi for years 1-4 in Tuvalu. Other key responsibilities include:
- supporting the development of a vernacular to English bridging program for Years 3 and 4;
- supporting the development of an awareness campaign to promote literacy and numeracy throughout all Tuvalu communities;
- assisting the coordination of a team of writers to develop Language, Literacy and Numeracy Teachers’ Guides;
- assisting MEYS staff to develop and implement school based professional development programs for teachers and head teachers; and
- Working collaboratively with the M&E Adviser on developing appropriate tools for community, school and classroom monitoring and evaluation.
The ideal candidate will be post-graduate qualified in early language or literacy/numeracy teaching and curriculum development; and will demonstrate a strong understanding of children’s language development. This will be combined with considerable practical experience as a classroom teacher or an adviser in early grade reading, writing and numeracy, as well as experience in developing teacher training and teacher support materials. Candidates will need to demonstrate excellent communication skills and ability to engage with a range of stakeholders including senior government officials, teachers and communities. A strong ability to coach and mentor colleagues from different social or cultural backgrounds is required for success. Previous experience working in the Pacific is desirable.
This position is classified Category B, Level 4 (long term) under the DFAT Adviser Remuneration Framework. Please visit http://dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/Documents/adviser-remuneration-framework-2016.pdf for further detail on the DFAT Adviser Remuneration Framework.
How to Apply
For a detailed position description and to apply for this position please visit www.coffey.com/careers and search for the job reference number 497431.
For further enquiries please contact us at email@example.com
Applications close 6.00pm (Tuvalu time) 22nd October 2018
This Facility is being administered by Coffey, a Tetra Tech company, on behalf of the Australian Government.
Coffey is an equal opportunity employer of choice and is committed to child protection.