International Programs Director
About WWF Belgium
WWF Belgium has a portfolio of field programs in various continents and countries, including Cambodia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Zambia, Malawi, Ecuador, Suriname and Central and Eastern Europe. Working hand-in-hand with local communities to protect and restore nature, WWF Belgium plays critical program support roles, including program design, proposal development, and monitoring & evaluation, while implementation is overseen by their local WWF office or their external partners. All programs are financed by Public Sector Partnerships (PSP) and by individual donations.
WWF believes in a future where people and nature thrive together and is committed to safeguarding the natural world. WWF has teams of experts working in over 100 countries to protect the natural resources that sustain and inspire us: our forests, rivers, oceans, climate, food and wildlife. WWF harnesses the collective power of supporters around the world, including communities, companies and governments to create real solutions for people and the planet.
WWF employs knowledgeable, talented people who are passionate about engaging and inspiring others – people who share their optimism that it is possible to change the world – and are determined to make a difference.
The International Programs Director is a member of the WWF Belgium Senior Management Team and is responsible for the overall success of WWF Belgium’s programs, delivering quality and results toward WWF’s mission and values. S/he supervises the team of Program Managers and keeps the SMT abreast of progress and performance.
The ideal candidate brings solid experience and expertise in program management, a strategic mindset, a ‘can-do’ attitude, and a demonstrated passion for nature conservation. A strong communicator, s/he is an effective team player and a leader who supports and encourages team members to grow and succeed. The incumbent will have a demonstrated ability to build strategic partnerships across a variety of cultures and organisations.
Core responsibilities of the role include:
Strategy. Initiating and setting goals for programs according to the strategic objectives and vision of the organization, including finances and donor relations.
Team Management. Supervising all Program and Project Managers, providing leadership, guidance and feedback and supporting teams to resolve complex problems.
Implementing. Planning the programs from start to completion, involving deadlines, milestones and processes. Developing budgets and operational plans. Ensuring all program operations and activities adhere to legal guidelines and internal policies. Devising evaluation strategies to monitor performance, assess impact and determine the need for improvements.
Relations with partners. Establishing and maintaining outstanding, respectful working relations with our implementing partners (WWF Program Offices in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Eastern Europe, African Parks, etc.) and with external partners (DGD, Public Sector, other NGOs, etc.).
Internal collaboration. Establishing a climate of trust with the CEO, the Senior Management Team, the Board of Directors and the other departments, and ensuring regular sharing of information through informative reports or presentations.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to analyze context and trends affecting nature conservation worldwide
- Analytical mindset with great problem-solving abilities
- Thorough understanding of project/program management techniques and methods
- Knowledge of performance evaluation techniques and key metrics
- Outstanding knowledge of data analysis, reporting and budgeting
- Working knowledge of MS office and program management software (e.g. Basecamp, MS Project etc.)
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written
- Uncompromising integrity, moral values, and ethics
- Passionate about WWF’s mission
- A degree or advanced degree in a relevant field (or equivalent): conservation, biology, ecology, forestry, etc.
- Proven experience (10 years+) working on relevant nature conservation and human development programs in a multi-cultural/ multi-country environment
- Proven experience in people management (5 years+)
- Fluent in English with a good command of French and/or Dutch; Spanish is an asset