Head of Global Programs
WeForest is an international non-profit association headquartered in Belgium and with current projects in Brazil, Ethiopia, India, Tanzania, and Zambia. Its mission is to advance innovative, scalable and lasting solutions to restore forest and landscapes for the climate, the people and the planet. WeForest promotes scientific evidence for the ways in which forests contribute to climate change mitigation beyond their impacts as stocks of carbon, by increasing water availability, enhancing local cooling and improving rural livelihood and
The aim of WeForest is to demonstrate, through the restoration of entire regions, that well-planned reforestation can be the solution to today’s biggest challenge: climate change. This is done by promoting Forest and Landscape Restoration best practices. They have also created a movement, engaging international brands and their millions of customers to act.
WeForest’s activities are expanding at a fast pace and they are urgently looking for a Head of Global Programs. The position reports to the CEO and oversees the Country Directors and Representatives, the Livelihoods Program Manager, as well as a Monitoring & Evaluation role and other potential technical advisors. The role works in close collaboration with the CEO, Science, Support Services, Projects Development and Sponsoring & Communication departments.
- In collaboration with the management team, lead the definition of the projects’ overall strategy, taking input from the field into account.
- Accountable for leading and supporting all aspects of the countries’ strategic plans.
- Responsible for coaching and empowering the programs team’s needs and performance, in close coordination with HR.
- As part of the management team, demonstrate exemplarity in work ethics and WeForest’s values.
Program delivery, governance and risk analysis
- Accountable for the delivery of existing and approved new projects according to agreed timelines and technical standards.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in relevant field.
- Substantial senior leadership experience with track record in successfully managing complex projects and remote teams in developing countries. NGO experience, as well as forestry or carbon knowledge, is a plus.
- Inspiring leadership: strategic vision with the ability to inspire and coach teams.
- Ability to drive the planning, reporting processes and teamwork.
- Actively support the Country Directors with project management and priority management, acting as back up when needed.
- Establish good governance system for projects and programs.
- Perform a risk analysis for each program.
- Own and manage the programs’ strategic planning, M&E, documentation and technical reporting.
- In collaboration with Finance, be responsible for program budgets, validation and controls.
- Provide support to the New Project Development Director regarding the sourcing and development of new projects.
- Ensure cross-departmental communication through the Projects Review Process Platform.