Group Chief Executive Officer
Sabre Education works in Ghana to unlock the dreams of thousands of four and five-year-old children by improving early years education, known locally as kindergarten. We do this through our Brighter Futures Programme, which is delivered in partnership with the Ministry of Education and the Ghana Education Service. This programme provides an innovative and carefully considered response to these challenges, delivered through Building Playful Schools and providing Transformational Teacher Training.
Sabre Education is a partnership between two linked education charities, registered in the UK with the Charity Commission and in Ghana with the Department of Social Welfare. We work directly in southern Ghana to improve the futures of poor and marginalised children and in the rest of Ghana, Uganda, Rwanda and Tanzania through a partnership with Opportunity Edufinance.
As one of the leading early childhood education organisations working in close partnership with the Government of Ghana on systemic change to deliver Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 4.2 on universal access to quality pre-primary education, and through sixteen years of working with schools, communities and the Ghana Education Service, Sabre has developed innovative solutions to tackle the twin issues of access and quality in kindergarten education.
Sabre’s approach is holistic and considers all aspects of the kindergarten education eco-system, covering child-centred and play-based pedagogy, training in positive behaviour management, improved learning environments, individualised assessment, coaching and mentoring for teachers, supportive supervision, and parental engagement.
Sabre’s multi-award-winning methodologies have been tested, independently evaluated and replicated at a district and regional scale, and in recent years Sabre’s experience and expertise has contributed significantly to national policy development and education reforms.
Helping all children succeed, by giving them the best possible early education.
To contribute to transforming the life chances of children in developing countries through our Brighter Futures programme.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Reports to the Board of Trustees and overall responsible for all the reporting to them
- Overall responsible for the delivery of the Sabre Education strategy
- Building a sustainable funding stream that supports the continued building of Sabre capabilities, and the delivery of the programmes required to support the strategy
- Continuous building and strengthening of the team
- Continues to build and implement even stronger Governance and related processes, including financial and performance management, stakeholder reporting, risk management, safeguarding, and compliance with charitable and company legislation
- Represents Sabre and builds its reputation on a global platform
- Work with the Chair of Trustees and Senior Leadership Team to review and update strategy annually
- Converts strategy into an 18 month rolling operational and fundraising plan, with a supporting budget
Product Development, Impact Expansion and Reputation Building
- Work with CEO-Ghana, Programme Director, Training Technical Lead and Learning Manager to ensure Sabre’s approach takes into account latest research, evidence and innovations to remain ‘Best in Class’
- Represent Sabre on a global platform, as an advocate for quality pre-primary education, including being engaged in international forums on pre-primary education
- Lead on development of partnership opportunities, in Ghana and beyond, to scale impact in line with Sabre’s strategy
- Works with, and supports, CEO Ghana to ensure high-quality programme design, planning and resourcing
- Monthly review of programme status – Cashflow, cost vs budget, programme delivery vs. plan, programme quality, customer satisfaction, key remedial actions
- Support the relationship building with the Ghana Ministry of Education and key related organisations – UNICEF, UNESCO, World Bank, DFID, etc.
Organisational Management and Development
- Work with CEO Ghana to further build a strong, high performing and resilient organisation that can deliver against the ambitious strategy
- Continue to develop and strengthen the high performing fundraising team
Governance and Reporting
- Ensure Sabre meets high standards of governance that also meet the high expectations of our key stakeholders
- Ensure there is robust and timely financial and operational monthly monitoring and reporting
- Monthly reviews of all areas of the organisation
Education/training and knowledge
- Educated to degree level or similar
- Evidence of continuing professional education and management/leadership development.
- Significant leadership experience gained at senior level in a complex environment, ideally with first-hand knowledge of the education sector, working with stakeholders including Governments, Agencies, NGOs and Ministry Departments.
- Understanding and experience of working in the Global South, ideally within Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Experience of fundraising and/or developing income streams through Grants/Trusts, Partnerships or corporate engagement.
- Evidence of leadership at a senior level including design and development of organisational strategy and management through transition.
- Solid track record of effectively managing resources and budgets, with experience of delivering long term financial sustainability and stewardship of valuable resources.
- Ability to forge and nurture effective partnerships and collaborative relationships with a range of organisations both inside and outside the education, government, agency and/or charitable sectors.
- Demonstrable evidence of strategic development and leading and inspiring people / organisations and developing effective partnerships.
Skills and personal attributes
- An excellent communicator, able to work with the Board of Trustees, staff and stakeholders to build trust and engagement.
- Experience of charity governance, charity fundraising and the operational management of a global charity.
- Ability to engage and build the confidence of a diverse group external stakeholders, representing Sabre Education as a thought-leader contributing to national reform in Ghana; building on the good reputation of the organisation.
- Ability to work with the Board, maintaining and deepening levels of governance and accountability.
- Experience of working with funding organisations such as World Bank, DIFD, USAID and others.
- Able to forge and nurture relationships with partner organisations such as UNICEF, UNESCO and others.
- Ability to ensure effective financial planning operates across the charity with appropriate financial controls and effective risk management in place.
- Must have a high level of financial acumen, able to monitor and analyse emerging income trends and identify potential opportunities.
- Ability to inspire, lead, motivate and manage staff in a participatory and supportive management style, developing capacity and ensuring the charity is run effectively and celebrates success.
- Very strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent Sabre Education to external and internal stakeholders.
- Resourceful and resilient with complex problem-solving, decision-making and analytical skills.
- Experienced in risk management and safeguarding, ensuring the organisation’s policies and principles are robust and effective.
- Ability to work with clarity, openness, and with a sense of determination to deliver agreed objectives.
- High levels of emotional intelligence, empathy and the highest levels of personal integrity and honesty.
- Willingness and ability to develop an understanding of the context and the impact of education provision within Ghana and across Sub-Saharan Africa, ideally gained through first-hand experience of education programme delivery.
- Ability to travel to Ghana on a quarterly basis and additional events as required to represent Sabre Education on an international level.
- Strong support commitment for the vision, values and strategic aims of Sabre Education
- Commitment to working within the Nolan principles of public life.