General Director, India Branch
About Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
Thank you for your interest in becoming the new General Director for the India Branch Office of Médecins Sans Frontières. Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent, medical, emergency relief organisation that provides assistance to people worldwide, regardless of their background, religion or political convictions. They aim to save lives and to offer medical care to victims of disasters, wars and epidemics. Working together with local staff, MSF give direct support to the population. They appeal to those in power, including governments and international organisations, and speak out about the abuses they encounter in the course of their work.
MSF coordinates operations through collaborations between global offices. ‘Artsen zonder Grenzen Nederland’ (MSF-Holland) has a partnership with offices in the UK and Germany. This partnership, known as ‘MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam’ (MSFOCA), operates medical humanitarian interventions in about 25 countries. Annually, MSF-OCA deploys approximately 1,100 international staff and employs 7,000 national staff.
MSF has worked in India since 1999. Currently MSF is running projects in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Manipur, Telangana, and Uttar Pradesh.
The Indian branch Office was set up in January 2013 at the request of MSF International. The aim of establishing a branch in India was to strengthen MSF’s presence in India and the region. MSF India has much to offer to the international network of Médecins Sans Frontières with the recruiting of highly skilled field employees clearly standing out. India is also of great importance for medical research, medical innovation and the production of the so-called generic drugs that are often used by MSF.
For the MSF India Branch office MSF is looking for a new General Director who comes with a strong background and attitude to lead necessary change and help shape the MSF of the future. A General director who develops a new Strategic Plan for the future and brings focus and energy to the India Branch Office. As General Director, you will be responsible for the overall steering and management of the MSF India Branch Office which brings resources and support to the MSF movement and contributes to strengthening and adding the South Asian voice to the movement. You safeguard the ethical standards and principles of MSF. You will be part of the international MSF General Director’s networks and contribute to the MSF globally and Operational Centre Amsterdam group in particular. You report to the Delegate Director MSF Holland based in Amsterdam and as the Chair of the Management Team in India you have the responsibility to lead the overall strategic development of MSF India.
- Thorough understanding of and experience of working with MSF social mission.
- Extensive managerial experience at a senior management level and understanding of organizational issues and team dynamics and supervision by a Board.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of international and humanitarian issues and of the nature and development of MSF organization and association.
- Proven ability to lead, develop and build a team, through delegation, empowerment, and coaching.
- Good knowledge of HR, communications, media, advocacy and fundraising.
- Very good communication and representation/ networking abilities (straightforward, structured and inspirational).
- The capacity to both develop a strategic vision and work on specific dossiers.
- High level of integrity and sound judgement.
- A good knowledge of the Indian context (political and legal aspects).
- Excellent knowledge of written & spoken English
- Relocate to New Delhi, India (if not already based there)
- A Masters degree is essential.
For more information and to apply: https://oxfordhr.co.uk/jobs/general-director-india-branch/
Location: New Delhi.
Closing date: 18th March