Director of SAHEL West Africa
Title: Director of SAHEL West Africa
Functional Area: Senior Leadership
Reports to: Director of West and Central Africa Region
Location: SAHEL Cluster countries - Togo, Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger or Benin
Travel required: Extensive
Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organisation working for equality for girls and better lives for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation.
Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan International engages people and partners to:
- Empower children, young people and communities to make vital changes that tackle the root causes of discrimination against girls, exclusion and vulnerability;
- Drive change in practice and policy at local, national and global levels through our reach, experience and knowledge of the realities children face;
- Work with children and communities to prepare for and respond to crises and to overcome adversity;
- Support the safe and successful progression of children from birth to adulthood.
Plan International has recently developed a new regional structure, with two key objectives:
i) introducing a smaller regional hub with a focus on strategic contribution, influencing and advocating;
ii) dedicating more resource to strengthening country office performance, with a focus on driving change that will create greater efficiency and advance children’s rights and equality for girls.
The new regional hub structure creates the role of Sub-regional Director who is accountable for overall performance and results for a cluster of countries based on the regional needs and context.
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
The Director of SAHEL Cluster is responsible for leading and managing the Country Directors within the portfolio (Mali, Niger, Togo, Benin and Burkina Faso) - ensuring that each Country Office has a quality strategic plan in place to deliver Plan International’s strategic ambitions, and enabling high performing teams to work together to deliver strong performance against agreed key result areas. The role requires courageous and inspirational leadership skills, a drive that delivers results and the ability to build strong and constructive relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of:
- International conventions on child rights and gender equality as well as the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Plan International, the brand, what we do and what we don’t;
- Gender equality and gender-transformative programming and influencing;
- Community-based development and long-term social change;
- The social-economic issues in the region that are affecting the rights and wellbeing of children and young people, especially girls and the most vulnerable.
- Transparent and accountable financial, asset and resource management
- Donor compliance requirements.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French
- Cultural sensitivity;
- Well-developed political acumen;
- Able to lead, inspire and motivate people;
- Dealing with ambiguity;
- Managing vision & purpose;
- Innovation management;
- Strong business acumen with an understanding of performance reporting tools and methodologies;
- Delivers results by regularly monitoring performance, anticipating problems/obstacles and implementing effective contingency plans;
- Methodical and organised self-starter who is able to deliver results with minimal supervision and direction;
- Communicates effectively and persuasively with all staff and stakeholders (both verbal and written);
- Considers commercial implications of decisions;
- Negotiates to deliver key results for the cluster;
- Strong problem solving capabilities;
- Can effectively manage conflict.