Director Fundraising and Communications
About Mama Cash
Mama Cash supports women, girls, trans people and intersex people who fight for their rights. Activists who tirelessly and fearlessly make their voices heard. Who criticise oppressive or restrictive norms and practices, and lobby for fair laws. Who demand their political and economic rights, and insist on bodily autonomy. Together with these activists and our donors, we work towards a more just world for women, girls, trans people and intersex people.
Mama Cash is the oldest international women’s fund in the world. It was founded in 1983 by a group of feminist activists using the money from one woman’s inheritance. Mama Cash now employs a staff of around 50 people and has awarded almost €54 million in direct grants to over 6,500 women’s, girls’, and trans people’s rights groups around the world.
The Director Fundraising and Communications is an experienced, visionary leader and exceptional manager with a passion for making a difference in the human rights of women, girls, trans people and intersex people globally. Provides leadership, strategic direction, oversight, coordination and priority setting for the Fundraising and Communications team to sustain and expand funding for Mama Cash, builds the organisation’s profile and increases their visibility, and stimulates individual and institutional donors to become supporters.
The Director Fundraising and Communications works as part of the Management Team to provide guidance and leadership for the organisation as a whole. Is an expert professional with strong staff management experience who can inspire, motivate, and challenge the Fundraising and Communications team, with significant working knowledge of the non-profit sector, in particular fundraising and communications. They have excellent written and oral communications skills in English (Dutch proficiency is desirable) and a demonstrated commitment to rights-based approaches and women’s rights.
The Director Fundraising and Communications brings critical knowledge and intelligence on donor priorities, plans and programming, leading in the early identification, assessment, and prioritisation of potential funding opportunities for Mama Cash.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong commitment to and understanding of women’s, girls’, trans people’s and intersex people’s human rights and ability to articulate this in meetings, events, and media to increase attention to these issues.
- Strong working knowledge of international development, philanthropy sector and institutional donor environments.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills in an international setting with proven track record of people and team management and development, and establishing a learning culture within an organisation.
- Strong strategic thinking and planning skills for developing fundraising and communications strategies.
- A proven track record in successfully securing grants from major donors, corporations, and individual partnerships and trusts, in establishing and managing relationships and partnerships with private and institutional donors and other counterparts.
- Proven ability to analyse external environment and global social trends, like
the Sustainable Development Goals and donor trends, and in successfully developing and managing both external and internal partnerships as well as the team’s relationships.
- Experience in establishing a safeguarding culture within organisations, for establishing a safe working environment at all levels, with sensitivity to diverse culture/workforce.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, demonstrating mature judgment, trust, and open communication, with an ability to develop collaborative and harmonious relationships with external partners and clients at the senior level.
- Ability to generate respect among peers and staff throughout the organization as well as donors, wealthy private partners, clients, and other partners.
- Expert knowledge in strategic communications for social justice and or women’s rights, and for a fundraising organisation.
- Knowledge of IT, new media for communications and fundraising and experience in managing a communications function.
- Able to engage respectfully with people who have different values and styles and be at ease with people of wealth.
- Strong sensitivity and commitment to cultural, racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic justice.
- Strong writing and public speaking skills.
- Ability to lead and engage in planning processes, budgeting, and priority-setting.
- Ability to work under pressure and keep a good sense of humor.
- Willingness to travel (in the Netherlands and internationally).
- English fluency required (written and oral), Dutch desirable.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field and at least 7 years of progressive experience in an international NGO or philanthropy environment with a diverse workforce that includes leading roles in fundraising/donor relationships and stakeholder management/communication.
- Demonstrated experience in supervising and developing staff.
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing strategic fundraising and communications plans and securing major gifts from individuals and institutions.