Director of Finance
Main purpose of position
The Director of Finance is responsible for the finance functions of the Center and is also the Treasurer of the Center. The Director will drive ICARDA’s strategic and operational Finance function, in support of the delivery of scientific research outputs, outcomes and the impact of ICARDA’s research portfolio. The Director will provide focus and vision to identify areas for improvement, manage the financial risks to which the Center is exposed and maintain a sound system of internal control that will ensure the Center appropriately optimizes its financial resources to support the delivery of value for money for all stakeholders. The incumbent will also oversee the Information Technology Unit.
The position reports to the Director General and is a part of the Senior Management Team.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
- Effectively lead the management of the Centre’s financial affairs, including effective and efficient management of financial data, timely and accurate statutory and management reporting (including annual financial statements in accordance with IFRS) as well as provide regular financial analyses on the Centers’ financial situation. Effectively lead, motivate and manage the performance of all finance staff across the Centre
- Develop, implement and maintain sound financial accountability through an effective internal control framework, an anti-fraud policy framework, and by instilling a culture of effective compliance with financial and budgetary policies and procedures.
- Effectively lead the treasury function of the Center, ensuring that cash flow requirements are met, and that ICARDA’s liquid assets are managed in accordance with established investment policies.
- Develop, implement, monitor and regularly report on a sound cost account framework that ensures full-costs recovery on research projects of ICARDA.
- Develop and implement financial and treasury policies and procedures, monitor their effectiveness, and ensure compliance across the Centre.
- Promote innovation and excellence in support of ICARDA’s organizational goals and strategy, work with all stakeholders to assess, plan for and analyze the Center’s capacity to deliver on its strategic goals, participate in thorough and risk-based assessment of ICARDA’s challenges and opportunities in a dynamic and challenging financial and operational environment, and provide insightful analysis and related recommendations to enhance the Centre’s efficiency and effectiveness.
- Lead the development of annual and multi-year budget and financial plans for the Centre; monitor budget expenditure and trends, and recommend corrective action as may be required.
- Manage the Information Technology and Communication function of the Center ensuring that appropriate corporate ICT policies are developed, and implemented, corporate ICT standards are adhered to and that the Center has appropriate cyber security policies and procedures
- Act as the Sanctions Compliance Officer.
- Effectively manage relationships with both Internal and External Auditors.
- Act as the Secretary of the Finance and Audit Committee of the Board of Trustees.
Education, qualifications and experience
Essential qualifications and competencies
- A professional qualification such as CPA, ACA (or equivalent)
- Advanced University degree in finance, accounting, business administration and/or a related field, or bachelor degree or equivalent combined with longer work experience;
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience, including in the public sector, at senior management levels in formulating, planning and implementing effective financial strategies;
- Ability to think strategically and pragmatically and to turn strategies into concrete actions;
- Strong analytical skills, evidenced by demonstrated delivery of sound financial analysis and forecasting;
- Demonstrated ability to lead, inspire and effectively manage people in a multicultural work environment;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to build trust and consensus and to effectively manage working relationships;
- Experience in implementation and maintenance of business and financial reporting tools using ERP systems;
- Knowledge of and experience in overseeing an ICT function;
- Excellent English, both written and spoken.
Desirable qualifications and competencies
- Experience in a publicly funded organization
- Management of grant funding and related donor relations
- Knowledge of the international sanction environment
- Experience in international treasury operations;
- Experience in a research or development international, not-for-profit organization;
- Knowledge of Arabic and/or French.
Terms of appointment, salary and benefits
This is an internationally recruited position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, housing allowance, non-contributory retirement plan, medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, five months’ maternity leave, 15 days’ paternity leave. All benefits are denominated and paid in US Dollars. The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract of 3 years, renewable subject to continued need for the position and satisfactory performance. The first year will be probationary period.
How to apply
Please apply online at www.icarda.org/iea/ by 16 October 2018. Applications will still be considered until the position is filled.
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from qualified women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.