Director, Compliance Review and Mediation Unit - AfDB
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
The CRMU Director Administers the Compliance Review and Mediation Unit. With the assistance of professional and support staff, the Director assesses and registers requests, facilitates problem-solving exercises, undertakes advisory and outreach activities, administers the Roster of Experts and reports on the IRM to the Board of Directors and the President.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be responsible for general administration of the CRMU, including staff, budgets and external relations and arranging for the selection of the members to the Roster of Experts who upon the recommendation of the President will be appointed by the Board of Directors.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide advice and technical opinion to the President and/or the Board, as may be approved by the board under the advisory services of CRMU
- Arrange for the selection of Experts for the Roster as required upon resignation or expiration of an expert’s term of appointment in accordance with the Bank Group’s procurement rules, as applicable to the selection of consultants and prepare the President’s recommendation and reports to the board concerning the appointment and removal of Experts
- Establish such administrative procedures and guidelines necessary for the proper functioning of the CRMU and the Roster of Experts
- Oversee the establishment and maintenance of the Register of Request open to the public on the Bank Group’s website, which shall contain significant data concerning the delivery and registration of requests
- Experience in applying relevant public participation, social policies and other relevant policies in development of projects, such as environmental conservation and resettlement of people, and a keen interest in ensuring compliance with environmental and socio- economic policies
- Familiar with the objectives and functions of multilateral development banks and financing institutions
- Good communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to carry out effective dialogue with stakeholders,including government officials, project affected people, civil society organizations, and Bank managers and staff
- Innovation and Creativity: Commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the Bank and its clients.
- Communication: Provides clear and concise oral and written communication; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience.
- Problem Solving: Applies business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifies solutions to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization.
- Client Orientation: Ensures that the client is considered to be of primary importance in all transactions and interactions. Strives to understand, and when appropriate, anticipate client needs, and ensures that the client receives the best possible service from the Bank.
- Team working and Relationships: Works with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, sharing the knowledge and workload. Develops strong working relationships with colleagues and contributes to creation of a positive team environment
- Hold At least a Master’s degree in law, social science, anthropology, sociology, development,environment, or related humanities field or a combination of related or equivalent studies/degrees;
- Advanced and specialized training certification
- Have a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant professional experience in development, environmental and social development, conflict resolution and consensus building especially in settling human and social problems in developing countries, preferablyfrom Africa. Out of these, five (5) years must be in managerial role.