Data manager - Epidemiologist Expert
Data manager – epidemiologist expert (m/f) - Rwanda
Enabel is the Belgian development agency. It implements and coordinates Belgium’s international development policy and primarily works for the Belgian State. The agency also implements actions for other national and international donors. Enabel has 1400 staff, of which more than 70% is local personnel. Enabel manages about 150 projects, mostly in fragile states in Africa.
Short Summary of the intervention
The new country programme for the Belgo-Rwandan cooperation 2019 – 2024 will intervene in the health sector, with the general objective: “The delivery of sexual and reproductive health services including family planning services is increased as well as the access of households to heath care”. Two complementary interventions are foreseen, each with its specific objective:
Specific objective 1: To ensure that all women, new-borns, children, adolescents and men have universal access to quality integrated RMNCAH (Reproductive, Maternal, New-born, Child and Adolescent Health) and/or FP/ASRH (Family Planning & Adolescent Sexual Reproductive Health) services, using a result-based financing methodology,
Specific objective 2: To ensure accessible, evidence-based, improved and innovative sexual and reproductive health services for empowered citizens.
It concerns the Health Sector-Project Intervention focusing on ‘Sexual Reproductive Health – Maternal and Neonatal cares in seven districts in Rwanda to ensure accessible, evidence-based, improved and innovated health services for empowered citizens.
N+1: Intervention Manager - Public Health
- Ministry of Health and Rwanda Biomedical Center through its Maternal, Child and Community Health Division (MCCH): The senior ITA Data Manager Epidemiologist will be anchored at the MCCH Division.
- Districts: District authorities (Mayor and Vice Mayor of Social Affairs), the Health Management Team (DHMT) and the District Health Unit (DHU). The DHU Director will be the counterpart for the implementation and the management of the interventions at district level.
- The ITA Data-manager/epidemiologist will contribute to the implementation of the interventions of the Health program by providing input for planning, execution, coordination, and monitoring and evaluation activities.
- The ITA will support the Maternal, Child and Community Health Division (RBC-MoH) in its process of improving and consolidating the existing health information monitoring and evaluation system: availability of quality data, analysis and use for evidence-based decision-making at district and central level:
- Support the production of quality data
- Develop strategies for effective utilization of data for monitoring, evaluation, decision making and action-research:
- Build capacity of 7 districts District Health Management Team, District health Unit staff and central level staff on effective data collection and analysis, self-reflection & monitoring based on data and evaluation methods
- Support the integration of different systems of information (system data warehouse) and further develop Health Management Information System tools, methods and guidelines at central and decentralized level
- The ITA will also support the Result-Based Financing program component (objective one) by assuring that the Ministry of Health is able to provide in time the necessary results report regarding the disbursement-linked indicators
- The ITA will act as Enabel focal point for the M&E system of the program and regularly report on the state of progress
- The ITA will assure the evidence-based documentation and capitalisation of innovative experiences and quality-improvement initiatives
Expected results of the function:
- The existing health information monitoring and evaluation system has improved in terms of Availability of quality data, Analysis of data and Use for evidence-based decision-making at district and central level
- Existing systems of information and further develop Health Management Information System tools, methods and guidelines are integrated
- Practical training guidelines on the analysis, processing and dissemination of processed data from HMIS to be used in decision making by staff at different levels are available
- Capacity building of 7 districts District Health Management Team, District health Unit staff and central level staff on effective data and Monitoring and evaluation methods is strengthened
- Evidence-based documentation and capitalisation of innovative experiences and quality-improvement initiatives are available
Any specialism in the diploma:
Master’s degree in Public health and/or in Epidemiology with large expertise in data management and Health information systems
Specific experience required:
- At least 5 years of experience of professional experience in providing support to Health Management Information Systems and Monitoring and Evaluation on health interventions
- Field experience of more than 5 years in the implementation of a development intervention in the health sector, preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Professional experience in providing support to health Management Information Systems and Monitoring and Evaluation in the sector of sexual and reproductive health
- Experience in using Health Information Data base and any electronic medical recording System
- Experience in conducting evaluations, operational research, action-research and surveys in the health sector
- Solid Experience in accompanying of change process and capacity building
Knowledge and skills required:
- Excellent knowledge of English with writing skills and basic knowledge of French
- Strong interpersonal and coaching skills
- Good capacity on report and scientific articles writing skills for publishing
- Capacity to work in a multicultural and multidisciplinary context
- Good knowledge of ICT (Word, Excel, Power Point and Database)
- Excellent communication skills
Specific competences or knowledge considered an asset:
- Experience in East Africa or Rwanda in particular
- Knowledge of Kinyarwanda
We offer you
You will work on a full-time basis.
Duty station: Kigali – Rwanda, with regular travelling in 7 districts in Rwanda.
Desired starting date: 1st of December 2019
Duration of the assignment: until the 30th of November 2022 (possible extension to 30 June 2024)
Monthly salary package: (cat. B417) between 5.247,17 euro and 7.344,22 euro (this includes the gross monthly salary and the expat benefits: hardship allowance and expat allowance). The salary will be calculated in function of the actual years of relevant experience.
Furthermore, our expatriate staff members are also offered expat benefits such as a (capped) housing allowance, a moving allowance, an installation allowance, coverage of school costs for children accompanying, an insurance package for the whole family, including repatriation insurance, and an annual round-trip flight ticket for each family member.
A recruitment pool may be constituted following this recruitment procedure for similar functions in our intervention countries.
Are you interested?
Apply on-line with your updated CV and application letter at the latest by October 9th 2019 via this link
Only applications that are registered via this link will be considered.