Country Director Niger
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation, working in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
SNV seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, result-oriented and experienced professional who will lead the Niger country team in realising the implementation of high quality programs in SNV’s sectors. SNV offers the successful candidate a challenging position in a highly dynamic environment.
The Country Director is responsible for leading and driving the country program. It is a multi-faceted role, focused on securing adequate funding to sustain operations, upscale and strategically strengthen the country program, while ensuring high quality delivery. It will require the Country Director to be well informed about national and international development priorities and steer the sectors in response to these priorities. The Country Director will forge partnerships and alliances between SNV and important national and international actors, and stimulate collaboration for impact in SNV sectors. He/she will also be the face of SNV in the country and ensure its positive image and visibility.
The Country Director will lead, coach and support a team of professionals to perform at their best to meet and exceed client, donor and SNV corporate expectations. In addition, she/he will be a key member of SNV’s global senior management team, making meaningful contributions to help shape the future of SNV.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Strategic leadership of the program (including multi-country efforts and potentially managing projects in other countries) within the overall parameters of SNV’s global strategy;
- Business development to grow the country program, ensure financial sustainability of SNV Niger and ensure a high quality project design;
- Oversight and quality assurance of project implementation (including project director roles) ensuring the delivery of impact to the satisfaction of key stakeholders and following SNV’s and the donor’s financial standards and monitoring protocols;
- Leadership and management of the country team: creating and nurturing an environment that supports high performance, learning and teamwork;
- Representation and profiling: building partnerships and maintaining excellent relationships with donors, partners, local governments, businesses, policy makers and other relevant stakeholders;
- Collaboration with other SNV countries to effectively exploit opportunities for synergy, deliver at scale (including multi-country projects), exchange knowledge and strengthen SNV’s position;
- In addition, Country Directors foster innovation of SNV products and services: facilitate learning, documentation and evidence based knowledge development in collaboration with SNV’s global team and partners; ensure collaboration with renowned knowledge institutes and networks.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline;
Required relevant Experience
- At least 8 years of relevant experience at strategic level;
- Knowledge and understanding of the international development context and trends in SNV’s three core sectors;
- Proven ability of mobilising resources from the public and private sector; familiarity with key financiers and actors in SNV’s 3 core sectors;
- Strong business and people management capabilities with a focus on results and an entrepreneurial skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong networking and positioning skills at multiple levels;
- Strong in implementation oversight;
- Proven track record in project management including familiarity with EU project procedures and process;
- Ability to relate with and manage relationships with government at federal and local levels;
- Ability to coach, lead, stimulate, and inspire professionals in a development context;
- Has experience working in Africa in particular working in economically/politically fragile conditions and dealing with security issues;
- Culturally aware, tactful and open minded;
- Proficiency in both written and spoken French and English.
This is a full-time position with the successful candidate being contracted on a three-year basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. A pension plan, life and medical insurances are included in the benefits package.
Key Steps in the Selection Process
1. Please submit your application via SmartRecruiters on or before 29 April 2018 if you wish to be considered for this position. All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
2. During the recruitment process, SNV will require your cooperation in completing a Competency Profile when long listed for this position.
3. We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission. Please note that reference checks may be conducted prior to your face-to-face interviews.
4. Should SNV wish to proceed with your application two interviews with the Selection Committee will take place.
5. After your interviews with the Selection Committee, we will advise you of the Committee’s decision as soon as possible. Please note that the successful candidate will be required to furnish SNV with original copies of their qualifications prior to an offer being extended.