Country Director - Madagascar
About Blue Ventures
Blue Ventures develops locally-led approaches to marine management that benefit people and nature alike. By listening and responding to basic needs, they design their models to catalyse and sustain marine conservation, unlocking the potential of coastal communities to manage their resources. They work in places where the ocean is vital to local cultures and economies, and they are committed to advancing the rights of small-scale fishers throughout the coastal tropics.
They support communities through three complementary approaches: directly through their teams living and working in coastal communities; through like-minded partner organisations working with coastal communities; and through amplification via policy work and civil society networks. While they continue to work alongside coastal communities at core sites in Madagascar, their reach and impact in the country has grown significantly through partners and networks, notably the national LMMA network MIHARI, and the national community health network PHE.
Blue Ventures was founded in Madagascar, and the Madagascar programme remains the beating heart of an ambitious and growing global organisation with an urgent and critical mission. Our tropical oceans, and the hundreds of millions of people who depend on them, are facing formidable challenges. Yet against an often bewildering backdrop of threats, we are seeing an unprecedented mobilisation of grassroots action in support of marine protection.
The Country Director is responsible for overseeing the safe, effective and efficient delivery of Blue Ventures’ activities in Madagascar. Setting the example for their culture and values, they lead a dynamic, multi-disciplinary, field-focused team of 150+ colleagues across seven coastal locations and the support office in Antananarivo. Driving continuous improvement in operational effectiveness, the Country Director is responsible for creating a positive professional environment that protects, nurtures and develops the talents of the team.
The Country Director plays a key role in advancing BV’s global conservation strategy, informed and inspired by lessons from the field and BV locations across the world, for transformative change across their work. The Country Director is responsible for marrying this global strategy with the needs and opportunities of the Madagascar team, evolving and implementing the national strategy for Madagascar through close community, staff and partner engagement.
- Clear commitment to Blue Ventures’ values and ‘communities first’ approach.
- General management experience for building safe and effective teams.
- Experience of managing conservation and/or development programmes and providing strategic direction in challenging environments.
- Building capacity in multicultural interdisciplinary teams.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with government, NGO/iNGO and other partners.
- Strong understanding of the opportunities and challenges of designing and delivering integrated community-based natural resource management approaches.
- Strong understanding of the links between conservation, development and public health, and of the connections between these fields.
- Fluency in French +/- Malagasy.
- A collegiate, flexible, hard-working, inclusive and highly organised work ethic.
- Strong written and spoken English, with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, team-building and feedback skills.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Willingness to travel to remote programme sites where living conditions are basic and arduous.
- Work experience in Madagascar and the Western Indian Ocean region (strongly preferred).
- Postgraduate degree in conservation, international development, MBA or another relevant field.
Location: Antananarivo, Madagascar
Closing date: 27th May 2019