Country Director, Bangladesh
Reporting to the International Director, the Country Director has overall responsibility for shaping and delivering on our ambitious strategy in Bangladesh. S/he will lead a high performing team to develop and test out ingenious ideas that can address systemic challenges, demonstrate and learn from what works, and inspire others to adopt successful approaches at scale.
In Bangladesh, we work in both a development and humanitarian context supporting communities and government to build resilience to climate change, make cities safer, make farming work for smallholder farmers and use energy to transform lives. We do this through a range of programmes, consultancy services and policy/advocacy work with communities, local authorities and the private sector, national government, academic institutions, other NGOs and donors.
The Country Director will be a dynamic, exemplary leader with the drive and experience to manage change and achieve impact. Entrepreneurship and new ways of thinking and working will be essential in this role as will good knowledge of the country context. Externally oriented with a proven track record of successful fundraising, building and nurturing strategic relationships with partners, development donors, commercial clients and government, the Country Director will strengthen our profile and grow our portfolio to achieve impact.
Internally, the Country Director will ensure sound, high quality management of all programmes, consultancies and operations to meet our standards and those of the donor or client. S/he will drive a focus on quality, results-centred delivery and accountability. This will include sound financial management and controls that mitigate risk and ensure that our business model is viable. S/he will have demonstrated experience of managing and mentoring high performing teams and promoting a culture of excellence and professionalism in all we do.
The Country Director is also a member of Practical Action’s global Strategic Leadership Team, contributing to shaping the group’s overall strategic direction and leading on specific global pieces of work. We expect all our teams, and especially our leaders to have a strong commitment to Practical Action’s vision, mission and values and ensure the protection of children and vulnerable adults with whom we work.
Experience and Knowledge:
- Significant experience in the development field and/or consultancy sector, preferably at a senior management level.
- Experience of developing and leading ambitious, viable strategies.
- Excellent knowledge of the Bangladesh context, ideally related to: energy, agriculture, WASH and/or climate & resilience
- Proven track record of leading portfolio growth
- Experience of managing a high performing team to achieve results and ability to drive change processes, bringing people along on the journey
- Proven track record of managing multi-million pound portfolios, ensuring business viability, compliance, delivery and controls.
- High caliber representation and leadership in partnership building.
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to effectively lead a diverse team.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and to set priorities.
- Proven ability to make sound and courageous decisions.
- Ability to work collaboratively and play a global leadership role.
- Excellent written & verbal communications skills: English and Bangla.
- A sound understanding of and commitment to gender equality.
- Commitment to Practical Action’s vision, mission and values.
- Ability to travel up to 8 weeks per year.
- Post-graduate degree in relevant subject