Chief Infrastructure Investment Officer x 2
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified, namely: energy, agro-business, industrialization, regional integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Bank is seeking to recruit dynamic and highly skilled investment officers who will work on private sector infrastructure investment transactions within the Infrastructure and Urban Development Department (PICU) in the Infrastructure, Private Sector and Industrialization (PIVP) Vice Presidency.
AFDB are seeking two highly experienced individuals for two positions one to be based in their regional office in Pretoria, the other in Tunis or Abuja.
The core responsibilities of this position are to identify business opportunities and structure transactions related to private investments in transport and urban development infrastructures and services and originate projects for Bank financing.
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the relevant Division Manager the Chief investment officer will, amongst other duties:
- Project Development and Processing
1.1. Liaise and coordinate with other Investment Officers and Bank staff in business development and the origination of a good quality investment pipeline;
- Project supervision and monitoring
2.1. Monitor project progress through field visit/desk review and prepare relevant reports (including, inter-alia, the quarterly Portfolio Status Report (PSR) and Project Completion Reports (XSR / PCR) for submission to Senior Management as periodic updates on implementation progress;
- Design specific innovative transactions, projects and initiatives
3.1. Undertakes the work on aspects of investments and infrastructure development and aligns them with institutional objectives;
- External Liaison and Knowledge Sharing
4.1. Contribute to the documentation of lessons learned from investment operations and emerging best practices in areas of expertise;
- Policy and Project Evaluation
5.1. Provide input and comments on project, policy and other papers related to respective sector operations and development across a range of key themes and sectors.
- Strategy, Planning and Reporting
6.1. Participate in relevant teams for planning and programming purposes;
- At least a Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Banking or equivalent degree in related areas, plus preferably a Bachelor Degree in civil/transport engineering;
- Have a minimum of Seven (7) Years of professional experience in project infrastructure project finance, consultancy, with specific experience in emerging markets;
- Proven ability to identify, process, and negotiate complex transactions in the infrastructure sector from a private sector standpoint and in particular related to transportation assets and services;
- Thorough understanding of the Transport infrastructure and related services, in particular, Ports, Airports, Highways and Mass Transit Systems, and Infrastructure markets;
- Strong analytical and financial structuring skills (including financial modeling experience) and sound business judgment”;
- Working experience in multinational organization in Africa and/or specialized experience in similar organization/s would be considered an advantage;
- Demonstrates ability to coordinate, participate in, and act as a catalyst for, strategic cross-sector dialogues within the networks, across the country, among Bank colleagues and other development institutions, governments and other organizations;
- Knowledge of economic developments and market trends in Africa;
- Ability to contribute to sound decisions and contribute to the execution of the decisions;
- Ability to initiate, effectively and independently interact with the senior government officials, senior management of potential clients;
- Strong commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the Bank and its clients;
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities applies business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifies solutions to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization;
- Excellent organizational, administrative, and time management skills;
- Proven ability to work with limited supervision and efficiently to deliver under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Willingness to travel extensively and geographic flexibility (some of the positions are based outside Abidjan);
- Excellent presentation skills;
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively in English and/or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).