Academic Adviser, Australia Awards Scholarships Intake
- Academic Adviser - Australia Awards Scholarship Intake 2022
- 20 input days over six months
- Desk-based input from home location
The Australia Awards Papua New Guinea (AAPNG) Facility is designed to promote knowledge, leadership and enduring ties between Australia and Papua New Guinea (PNG). It aims to build knowledge and skills to address PNG’s economic and development challenges through international scholarships to Australia and scholarships in PNG.
It offers the next generation of leaders in Papua New Guinea opportunities to acquire professional and technical knowledge and skills relevant to the priorities of the Government of PNG. The program ensures opportunities are provided for women, people with disabilities and people from rural and remote locations. The program supports alumni to use their skills, knowledge and networks to drive change and innovation.
AAPNG includes three study options:
- Australia Award Scholarships for Papua New Guineans to undertake long-term study in Australia, primarily at the postgraduate level;
- Australia Awards Short Course Awards for Papua New Guineans to undertake short-term professional development study in Australia or PNG, often receiving an Australian qualification; and
- Australia Awards In-PNG Scholarships for Papua New Guineans to undertake long-term study in PNG to meet critical workforce gaps.
As a further extension of these scholarships, the AAPNG Facility supports the PNGAus Partnership Secondary Schools Initiative which connects Australia and Papua New Guinea’s students, teachers and principals to build capability and deepen people-to-people links to underpin the enduring partnership between Australia and PNG.
The AAPNG Facility also facilitates the PNGAus Partnerships for higher education which involves projects that develop partnerships between Papua New Guinean and Australian higher education institutions to strengthen PNG institutions’ capacity in teaching, learning and research in alignment with the Government of PNG’s higher education reform agenda.
To deliver Australia Awards outcomes, AAPNG has six stream activities: Australia Awards; PNG and Pacific Awards; Short Course Awards; Alumni Engagement; Secondary Schools; and Higher Education. AAPNG is managed by Tetra Tech International Development, on behalf of the Australian Government.
The Academic Adviser will provide high-level advice and input as follows:
- Facilitate one-on-one interviews with shortlisted PhD, MPhil and masters by research applicants for Intake 2022 (no more than 20 interviews);
- Provide Australia Awards with a detailed report on the PhD, MPhil and masters by research interviews, including analysis of suitability/preparedness and recommendations for selections;
- Provide a detailed desk-based academic advice report on the provisional and reserve awardees, highlighting any “at academic risk” based on academic history, work experience, current employment, and make recommendation about suitable alternative institutions/courses;
- Following the desk-based academic advice report, work with the Australia Awards Scholarships team to provide tailored academic guidance to those awardees identified as benefitting from further consultation and advice;
- Assess and mark the essay test for undergraduate and masters by coursework applicants.
- Provide general academic advice and guidance in response to specific requests to inform the Australia Awards Scholarships team and DFAT (as requested).
The Adviser will possess the following:
- Postgraduate tertiary qualifications in a relevant field;
- Five (5) years or more teaching/supervising students/conducting research in higher education;
- Five (5) years or more working in Australian higher education systems, demonstrating detailed knowledge of higher education in Australia, Australian university administration, admission and post-graduate courses;
- Strong leadership, advisory and management skills, including policy and financial management;
- High level strategic thinking;
- High level inter-personal skills for building and maintaining relationships, delivering messages and identifying and managing issues;
- High level proficiency in presentation, communication and report writing skills;
- Fluency in spoken and written English; and
- Previous experience, understanding and appreciation of the Papua New Guinea context is desirable.
This position is classified as Discipline Category B Job Level 4 under the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) Adviser Remuneration Framework. To learn more, please visit DFAT Adviser Remuneration Framework
How to Apply
To view a detailed position description and to apply, please visit Tetra Tech International Development Careers and search for job number 498928. Please note that applications will only be accepted via the online application process on the Tetra Tech International Development Website.
For further enquiries, please contact us at IDEV.HRServices@tetratech.com and quote the job reference number 498928
Applications close: 5pm (PNG time) 07 May 2021.
This program is managed by Tetra Tech International Development, on behalf of the Australian Government.
Tetra Tech International Development has a 40-year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors right around the world, including Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, USAID and the UK's Department for International Development (now known as the Foreign and Commonwealth Development Office). Our people work side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth and good governance, positively changing people's lives.
Tetra Tech International Development has robust policies and guidelines which exemplify our commitment to safeguarding and technical excellence in gender equality. Our team of dedicated GEDSI advisers work closely with our staff and partners to ensure a context-specific and consistent approach is applied to all our programmes to improve the livelihoods of the world’s most marginalised groups.
Tetra Tech International Development is also committed to respectful workplaces and does not tolerate sexual exploitation, abuse or harassment of any kind.
Tetra Tech International Development is an equal opportunity employer of choice and is committed to child protection.