Academic Adviser – AAS Intake
As a leading global development consulting firm, our purpose is to contribute to a world where people, communities and the planet thrive.
Coffey International Development works with governments, businesses and NGOs to solve complex development challenges. Our dedicated team helps partners including DFAT, USAID and the Asian Development Bank to deliver effective and sustainable projects in more than 80 countries around the world.
- Australia Awards Scholarship (AAS) Intake 2021
- 15 days input over six months
- PNG and desk-based input from home location
Australia Awards in Papua New Guinea (AAPNG) is designed to promote knowledge, leadership and enduring ties between Australia and PNG. It aims to build knowledge and skills to address PNG’s economic and development challenges through international scholarships to Australia, and the provision of in-PNG scholarships.
It offers the next generation of leaders in PNG opportunities to acquire professional and technical knowledge and skills relevant to the priorities of the Government of PNG. The program fosters people-to-people links between Australia and PNG and ensures opportunities are provided for women, people with disabilities and people from remote locations. The Program focuses on supporting alumni to use their skills, knowledge and networks to drive change and innovation.
Australia Awards in PNG includes three study options:
- Australia Award Scholarships for Papua New Guineans to study primarily postgraduate courses in Australia
- Australia Awards Fellowships – Papua New Guinea (short courses) for Papua New Guineans to undertake short-term study in Australia
- Australia Awards Pacific Scholarships for Papua New Guineans and other Pacific Islanders to study in PNG. Scholarship opportunities for Papua New Guineans to study in PNG are referred to as In-Country Scholarships.
Australia has offered scholarships to PNG for more than 40 years, successfully strengthening the relationship between Australia and PNG. Australia Awards in PNG is managed by Coffey, a Tetra Tech company, on behalf of the Australian Government.
The Academic Adviser will provide high-level advice and input as follows:
- Facilitate one-on-one interviews with shortlisted PhD, MPhil and masters by research applicants for Intake 2021 (no more than 20 interviews);
- Provide Australia Awards with a detailed report on the PhD, MPhil and masters by research interviews, including analysis of suitability/preparedness and recommendations for selections;
- Provide a detailed desk-based academic advice report on the provisional and reserve awardees, highlighting any “at academic risk” based on academic history, work experience, current employment, and make recommendation about suitable alternative institutions/courses;
- Following the desk-based academic advice report, work with the Australia Awards Scholarships team to provide tailored academic guidance to those awardees identified as benefitting from further consultation and advice;
- Provide general academic advice and guidance in response to specific requests to inform the Australia Awards Scholarships team and DFAT (as requested).
The ideal candidate will possess postgraduate tertiary qualifications in a relevant field.
For success, candidates must have:
- strong leadership, advisory and management skills, including policy and financial management
- at least five (5) years or more working in Australian higher education systems, demonstrating detailed knowledge of higher education in Australia, Australian university administration, admission and post-graduate courses
- five (5) years or more teaching/supervising students/conducting research in higher education.
The position is classified as Discipline Category B Job Level 4 under the DFAT Adviser Remuneration Framework. To learn more, please visit www.dfat.gov.au.
How to Apply
To apply for this position please visit www.coffey.com/careers, click on ‘career opportunities’ and search for job reference number 498363.
For any enquiries or a copy of the position description, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and quote the job reference number 498363.
Previous applicants need not apply.
Applications close: 3 June 2020 at 5:00 pm (PNG time)
Coffey has a 40-year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors right around the world, including Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, USAID and the UK's Department for International Development. Our people work side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth and good governance, positively changing people's lives.
Coffey has robust policies and guidelines which exemplify our commitment to safeguarding and technical excellence in gender equality. Our team of dedicated GEDSI advisers work closely with our staff and partners to ensure a context-specific and consistent approach is applied to all our programmes to improve the livelihoods of the world’s most marginalised groups.
This program is managed by Coffey, a Tetra Tech company, on behalf of the Australian Government.
Coffey is an equal opportunity employer of choice and is committed to child protection.