World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF)
Research organisation based in Kenya promoting agroforestry as a means to address the need for improved food security and increased resources for energy, as well as the need to sustainably manage agricultural landscapes for the ecosystem services they provide.
World Agroforestry Centre research is organized around six Science Domains (SDs):
- Agroforestry systems
- Tree products and markets
- Tree diversity, domestication and delivery
- Land health
- Environmental services
- Climate change
The research of the World Agroforestry Centre works towards more productive, diversified, integrated and intensified agroforestry systems that provide livelihood and environmental benefits, including:
- Enriching the asset base of poor households through farm-grown trees.
- Maximizing the productivity of agroforestry systems and the complementary benefits of trees to the productivity of crops and livestock.
- Improving the income of poor households by better linking them to markets.
- Expanding the multifunctionality of agricultural landscapes by balancing increased productivity with the sustainable management of the natural resource base.
- Maintaining or enhancing the supply of ecosystem services in agricultural landscapes, particularly regarding water, soil health, carbon sequestration and biodiversity.
Research covers six ecoregions: across sub-Saharan Africa (eastern, southern, western and central) in South and Southeast Asia, and Latin America. Our programmes are driven by the specific needs and opportunities in each region.
Latest documents from World Agroforestry Centre
- DocumentK. de Sousa, M. van Zonneveld, P. Imbach, F. Casanoves, R. Kindt, J.C. Ordonez / World Agroforestry Centre, 2017DocumentP.A. Minang (ed), M. van Noordwijk (ed), O.E. Freeman (ed) / World Agroforestry Centre, 2015Document
Indonesia’s ‘green agriculture’ strategies and policies: Closing the gap between aspirations and applicationB. Leimona, S. Amaruzaman, B. Arifin / World Agroforestry Centre, 2015DocumentU. Djanibekov, K. Dzhakypbekova, J. Chamberlain, H. Weyerhaeuser / World Agroforestry Centre, 2015DocumentR.J. Zomer, M. Wang, J. Xu / World Agroforestry Centre, 2015