Trauma Expert: Strengthening Health System
medica mondiale e.V. is a non - governmental organisation based in Cologne, Germany. As a feminist women’s rights and aid organisation medica mondiale supports women and girls in war and crisis zones throughout the world. Through own programmes and in cooperation with local women’s organisations we offer holistic support to women and girl survivors of sexualised and gender-based violence. On the political level, we pro-actively promote women’s rights, call for a rigorous punishment of crimes as well as effective protection, justice and political participation for survivors of violence. Currently medica mondiale is working in Northern Iraq/Kurdistan, in Afghanistan, in Liberia, in Kosovo, in Bosnia and Herzegovina as well as the African Great Lakes Region.
For our Sub-Country Office in the Kurdish Region of Iraq (KRI) we are advertising the position of
Trauma Expert for strengthening Health System (female)
Since 2015, medica mondiale has been implementing programmes and projects in the Kurdish Region of Iraq focusing on strengthening local protection and counseling for women and girls affected by sexual and gender based violence. As one component of this program, medica mondiale is improving the quality of direct services provided by the Kurdish Regional Government and civil society organizations through capacity development measures. In order to provide support more effectively and to increase collaboration with relevant stakeholders, medica mondiale opened a regional office in Dohuk in 2016.
Duty station of the Trauma Expert is Dohuk, KRI. The position might require travel to other field locations in Erbil and Sulaymaniyah
The Expert is responsible for contributing Trauma-expertise to the projects implemented by medica mondiale in KRI. In close cooperation with the medica mondiale technical advisors on trauma work in Cologne, the Trauma Expert ensures the implementation of the projects in KRI according to medica mondiale standards on trauma work. She reports to the Head of Mission in KRI.
- Design and implement of qualification programs, including Training of Trainers, based on the medica mondiale STA - stress- and trauma-sensitive approach®
- Adapt training materials on stress- and traumasensitive health care as well as monitoring tools to the KRI context
- Provide training for trainers for health care professionals on stress- and traumasensitive health care, staff care and burn out prevention
- Advocate for the institutionalisation of STA - stress- and trauma-sensitive approach® with stakeholders in the local health system
- Develop suitable instruments and approaches for results-oriented project monitoring and quality assurance
- Support the introduction of staff care with local partner organisations through monitoring visits, advisory services and facilitation of exchange meetings.
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders mainly from the health sector in KRI
Experience/knowledge and skills
- Degree in public health
- Work experience in the health sector (preferably SRHR)
- Knowledge of SGBV and trauma, especially in war- and post-war contexts
- Experience in designing and conducting trainings
- Excellent command of the English language combined with strong writing skills; Understanding of Arabic or Kurd languages would be an asset.
- Knowledge of and experience with systemic approaches;
- Experience in resource-oriented trauma counselling would be an asset
- Experience in advocating/campaigning for women’s rights in the health sector would be an asset
- Regional expertise would be an asset
- Feminist background and a clear commitment to working with a women centred and empowering approach;
- Ability to work in an independent and self-contained way, while maintaining reliable communication and working relations with both, Head Office, partners and stakeholders;
- Stress-resilient, flexible, courageous;
- Strong communications, interpersonal and inter-cultural skills: ability to communicate with actors from the grassroots to the national level, both governmental and non-governmental.
- 2-year contract, with possibility for extension
- Salary and benefits based on medica mondiale’s salary scale for international assignments
- Insurance, travel cost refund etc.
Start: 1 October 2018
Closing date: 17 August 2018
Please e-mail your application (CV, cover letter and references not exceeding 2MB) as well as your salary expectations to email@example.com.
Further information on our projects can be found on our website: www.medicamondiale.org