Technical Advisor (m/f/d) for the Build 4 Skills Initiative
This Technical Advisor position is deployed to the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to support the Build4Skills (B4S) Initiative. B4S is a joint initiative by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the ADB.
The initiative’s objective is to use the potential of ADB-supported infrastructure projects in its developing member countries (DMCs) in Asia and the Pacific to enhance work-based training on construction sites in partnership with relevant stakeholders (e.g. associations, contractors, training organizations, quality assurance agencies).
This includes an assessment of training requirements for the project to be supported, trained labor forces available for the project and available employment opportunities. At a later stage a digital platform might be established to help providing labour market information related to demand and supply of skills.
- Develop a concept / procedure for the implementation of the initiative, which is agreeable within ADB and agreed with the German side
- Assume a liaising function between the ADB department responsible for technical and vocational education training and operational departments within the ADB
- Function as the contact person for BMZ, implementing organizations (GIZ, KfW) and other involved stakeholders (e.g. private sector) in the initiative
- Support the implementation of the concept as part of one to two pilot projects, including coordination with German bilateral development cooperation
- Support the operations departments in formulation of policies, strategies, and programs to scale up and combine ADB’s TVET operations with infrastructure projects through the B4S Initiative
- Contribute to knowledge sharing and staff development activities on important priorities in TVET such as vocational training for infrastructure projects, quality assurance, technology-enabled teaching and learning, and – if feasible - public-private partnerships
- Provide information and analyses towards the development of approaches for B4S in the selected pilot countries in consultation with relevant government agencies and ADB’s Resident Missions (RMs)
- Further the conceptual design of B4S and promote the initiative in close cooperation in particular with BMZ, GIZ, KfW and act as a focal point for the B4S Initiative within ADB
- Lead the conceptualization of B4S components of the pilot projects and participate in promotional discussions with ADB partners (contractors, executing agencies and national TVET institutions) in the pilot countries
- Support piloting of training in infrastructure projects in one or more member states including developing approaches for scaling up the pilots – if feasible by also exploring the establishment of a digital platform
- Master’s degree, or equivalent, in economics, science and technology, education, human resource development, labor economics, or other related fields
- At least eight years of relevant professional experience, preferably in dual TVET, and in TVET reforms supported by International Development Cooperation
- Solid understanding of challenges and opportunities in sustainable development and financing of TVET and its innovation
- International experience working in several countries
- Proven expertise and experience within corporate TVET/private sector engagement in TVET
- Excellent management, networking and communication skills
- Excellent English skills required, German is an advantage
- Knowledge in digital transformation in developing countries is desirable
Location information The advisor is posted in ADB’s Headquarters in Manila, which is situated on the Philippines. The advisor will provide advisory services to the Chief of Education in ADB’s Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department. Manila has urban living conditions, including international schools and child care systems. The climate is sub-tropical, while international standards of health-care are available. Security situation is stable. Notes
The position requires regular travel to ADB member states, such as Mongolia and Pakistan.
Please note that we basically can only receive and process applications sent via our e-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.