Senior Technical Advisor
IFES is currently implementing a USAID-funded elections technical assistance project in Haiti that aims at promoting credible, participatory, and inclusive electoral process. To this end, IFES seeks a full-time Haiti-based experienced Senior Technical Advisor to work along-side with the IFES team to implement targeted activities primarily aimed at strengthening the institutional and organizational capacity of Haiti’s Provisional Electoral Council (CEP) and providing strategic advice to potential electoral reforms. This position reports to the Chief of Party or his/her designee. This is a short-term vacancy available immediately. Possibility for extending the assignment will be based on performance and project needs.
- Serve as IFES’ senior technical advisor, liaise with the CEP, relevant government entities, and select local organizations, in coordination with IFES Deputy Program Director.
- Provide advice in the preparation, process, and implementation of an inclusive consensus-based dialogue.
- Provide technical guidance on electoral reforms and administration to CEP leadership and staff.
- Provide inputs and expert advice on draft electoral reforms, in coordination with project staff and consultants.
- Provide technical guidance to the CEP on the design and implementation of strategies to build broad-base support from different stakeholders implicated in the election process.
- Coordinate program activities, including round-tables on electoral reforms.
- Contribute to technical briefing papers on aspects of the legal electoral reform, including a comparative perspective; and prepare other relevant research, analysis, and presentations.
- Work closely with the CEP and provide technical guidance to develop internal and external policies and procedures.
- Provide guidance to design and develop program activities including the implementation of regional forums to gather feedback on CEP’s lessons learned and best practices from the 2016-2017 elections process.
- Contribute to program reporting, including quarterly activity reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
IFES is implementing a five-year USAID-funded Global Elections and Political Processes (GEPT) program activity in Haiti aimed at building greater confidence in the electoral process. IFES will support Haitian-led efforts to strengthen electoral institutions, political processes, and civil society to advocate for and institute electoral and political reforms.
DECISION MAKING/PROBLEM SOLVING:
Multi-factor decision-making requiring research and analysis, subject to supervisory guidance. Verify and analyze facts, consult with other departments as needed, then implement solutions based on knowledge of procedures, logic, and sound judgement. Initiate contact with staff in other departments to exchange detailed, substantive information and coordinates activities necessary to achieve work goals.
Contribute to project budget planning, as it relates to project implementation.
Develop and maintain collaborative working relationship with assigned stakeholders within and outside IFES to ensure timely and successful achievement of project goals and objectives. Represent IFES with external contacts at professional and government levels. Relationships require highly-developed interpersonal skills, involving active listening, creativity and problem-solving.
Support consultants in their work to ensure technical quality of products and timely and complete delivery.
Bachelor’s degree required in business administration, international development or related field; graduate degree preferred.
8+ years of experience implementing electoral assistance programs, public policy outreach, conflict resolution, capacity building, public outreach and other related international development programs. Technical expertise driving and/or facilitating dialogue processes around legal reforms is preferred. Experience working with high-level officials. Ability to take and provide guidance. Demonstrated project management skills are a plus. Field experience is necessary for this position
Related Skills or Knowledge Results oriented. Ability to prioritize multiple priorities. Ability to manage and develop local relationships by applying cultural awareness. Strong communicator, both verbally and in writing, in both English and French. Collaborative, team oriented individual. Proven capacity to work well with minimal supervision. Flexibility to adapt to a highly complex pollical and social environment. Familiarity with international donor community
Fluency in French and English required.
Position is based in Haiti. Some travel outside of capital may be required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job