Senior Consultant - Health
Itad is a leading consultancy providing technical expertise to international development programmes, projects and institutions. Our work covers a range of sectors, including Education, Health, Governance, Social Protection and Livelihoods, Climate Change and Private Sector Development. We specialise in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) and our work ranges from designing MEL systems for multi-million Pound initiatives, to conducting long-term impact evaluations across the world.
Itad is a values-based company. We make a difference delivering technical excellence and innovation, contributing through collaboration and learning, gender equality and social inclusion and providing opportunities for personal development to staff. Itad offers the opportunity to work in a friendly, dynamic and stimulating environment.
We are recruiting a Senior Consultant to join our Health team. This is a technical role and proven experience of applying a range of qualitative and quantitative evaluation design and methods, as well as MEL thinking and practice is required. You will have substantial knowledge and experience of at least one methodological area.
You will have experience in a consultancy environment and be able to quickly establish credible and strong working relationships with team members, clients, partners and stakeholders. In addition, you will have a detailed understanding of commercial drivers and how they can influence bidding, team management, stakeholders and successful delivery is essential. You will have a successful track record in contributing to or leading bid development for health / MERL projects.
Our global health team runs a dynamic and varied portfolio of high profile evaluations which work across four thematic areas: health systems strengthening, adolescent sexual and reproductive health, global health security, and programme and strategic reviews. Our evaluation team is multi-disciplinary, with specialisms in evaluation methods, such as theory-based approaches. Examples of our current projects are:
- UNICEF’s work in health systems strengthening globally, building on the success of our recent work evaluating UNICEF’s efforts to support scale up of prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV and paediatric HIV care and treatment programs over the past decade.
- The Independent evaluation of Adolescents 360 (A360), an innovative $30 million programme jointly funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation to encourage modern contraceptive use and reduce unplanned pregnancy among young girls aged between 15-19 in Ethiopia, Tanzania and Nigeria.
- The Independent evaluation of the Department of Health’s Fleming Fund £265 million one health programme, to support 20+ low and middle income countries (LMICs) in tackling antimicrobial resistance (AMR).
- Strategic reviews of the 2015 and 2017 strategy of the Global Fund, and its prospective country evaluations. Following our evaluation of the Global Fund’s overall strategy in 2015, Itad was appointed to lead its evaluation of the 2017 strategy.
- Provide technical inputs to projects, either in the UK or overseas
- Undertake assignments as a member of a team, to support with both project management of an evaluation or its technical delivery
- Actively contribute to the health team and Itad’s brand and profile building through making new M&E contacts, external and internal communications, and contributing to new business development including through leading bidding as needed, in consultation with the health theme lead
- Maintain sector and thematic expertise
Professional Expertise & Key Competencies
- Post-graduate degree in an applied development field.
- Demonstrable track record and work experience in project management, data collection and analysis to a high quality to a senior level
- Technical expertise in at least one major aspect of data collection and analysis, such as: qualitative methods; survey design; survey sampling; and quantitative statistical analysis
- Technical expertise and experience in one or more relevant thematic areas, such as health systems strengthening, policy development and analysis, or a health-related field
- Previous experience in working with consultants or managing teams
- Strong analytical, facilitation, presentation and writing skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, e.g. proven ability to deal with staff, collaborators and partners from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Proficiency in one or more of the other UN languages would be an advantage
The role is based in our offices in Hove (East Sussex) but with travel within the UK and internationally. You will be expected to be office-based for a minimum of two days per week in the UK.
The salary range for this position is £39,000 to £48,000.
Closing date is 19th of October 2018.
For non-EU applicants: If you are a non-EU National then please refer to the UK Border Agency website for information regarding your eligibility to work in the UK. You should clearly state any visa requirements as part of your application.