Senior Consultant - Health
Itad is a leading consultancy providing technical expertise to international development programmes, projects and institutions. Our work covers a range of sectors, including Health, Governance and Social Protection and Livelihoods Conflict Prevention, Peacebuilding, Stabilisation, Humanitarian Assistance, Climate Change, Private Sector Development. We specialise in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) and our work ranges from designing MEL systems for multi-million Pound initiatives, to conducting long-term impact evaluations across the world.
Our Health theme sits within the Human & Social Development cluster at Itad, alongside Education and Social Protection. We are looking for a Senior Consultant to contribute to the successful delivery of Health projects by undertaking and leading complex, innovative and diverse assignments that utilise their technical monitoring and evaluation expertise, project management and people management skills
Our health portfolio is dynamic and expanding - here are some example of the projects in our current portfolio:
- The Independent evaluation of Adolescents 360 (A360), an innovative $30 million programme jointly funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation to encourage modern contraceptive use and reduce unplanned pregnancy among young girls aged between 15-19 in Ethiopia, Tanzania and Nigeria.
- The Independent evaluation of the Department of Health’s Fleming Fund £265 million one health programme, to support 20+ low and middle income countries (LMICs) in tackling antimicrobial resistance (AMR). We will use middle range theories and contribution analysis as part of our approach to predict the contribution of the programme to its goals.
- A high profile evaluation of UNICEF’s work in health systems strengthening globally, building on the success of our recent work evaluating UNICEF’s efforts to support scale up of prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV and paediatric HIV care and treatment programs over the past decade.
- Strategic reviews of the 2015 and 2017 strategy of the Global Fund, and its prospective country evaluations. Following our evaluation of the Global Fund’s overall strategy in 2015, Itad has been appointed to lead its evaluation of the its 2017 strategy as well as prospective country evaluations in Myanmar, Sudan and Cambodia.
The Health Team is rapidly growing as our client base increases and diversifies so we are looking for a dynamic and motivated Senior Consultant with a passion for working in Health. The consultant will be joining a rapidly expanding team and will help to maintain the high quality of existing contracts and support the team in seizing new opportunities for growth.
This is a technical role and proven experience of applying a range of evaluation designs and methods (qualitative and quantitative), as well as MEL thinking and practice is essential.
The successful candidate will have consultancy experience, be able to quickly establish credible, strong working relationships with team members, clients, partners and stakeholders, and will have the ability to lead, manage and motivate others. A clear understanding of commercial drivers and how they can influence both bidding and delivery is essential.
Manage the high-quality delivery of a range of technical MEL assignments by working pro-actively with internal and external teams, including associate consultants and partner organisations
- Ensure information and learning is captured and shared throughout assignment delivery to enable efficient and effective decision making
- Ensure that assignments are managed on time and to budget, and within agreed company financial frameworks
- Identify and mitigate risks and challenges to the successful delivery of projects
- Maintain awareness of current and emerging opportunities, trends and ideas within the Health space; and contribute to the Theme’s business development strategy by identifying opportunities to promote our interests/expertise
- As agreed with the Theme Lead, seek out and pursue new business opportunities and assess business leads identified by Business Development & Marketing to determine their commercial viability
- Work with the Business Development & Marketing team in the production of EOIs and Proposals, including identifying suitable external associates for project teams and consortia where appropriate
- Contribute to the growth of our reputational capital and positioning as a thought leader by assisting in the development of knowledge capital and products for external use
- Proactively develop and maintain a professional network with clients, partners, external associates and like-minded organisations, leveraging opportunities to build external profile as a subject matter expert
Professional Expertise & Key Competencies
- Relevant Master’s degree or PhD in Social Science or development related discipline
- Demonstrated technical experience of working on MEL assignments in Health is essential with a particular focus on health economics, health systems or health policy development
- Experience and proven success in managing the delivery of MEL assignments for a range of international clients in a consultancy role or as a staff member within a major aid agency or NGO is essential
- Significant technical expertise in at least one major aspect of data collection and analysis is essential, e.g. qualitative methods; survey design; survey sampling; quantitative statistical analysis
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Proficiency in one or more other UN language is an advantage
The closing date for applications is December 1 2017 and we will be interviewing successful candidates in the following weeks
For non-EU applicants: If you are a non-EU National then please refer to the UK Border Agency website for information regarding your eligibility to work in the UK.