Public Health Advisor
Public Health Advisor
HealthNet is looking for an experienced Public Health Advisor to support multi sectorial quality programs that improve the health and wellbeing of communities in fragile states.
HealthNet builds healthy communities with people at the bottom end of globalization. Our mission is to implement welfare and health initiatives that lead to improved health and wellbeing and social inclusion. Coming from a health care background, HealthNet found that improving health in extremely fragile situations requires a social component in the public health approach. HealthNet developed a procedure to identify local stakeholders or agencies and existing resources in fragile populations, and engages the whole community in a process of identifying local problems and needs. These ‘local change agents’ start a community dynamic that reunites people, strengthens social bonds, and restores healing relationships. HealthNet implements this approach successfully on the basis of cultural knowledge, therapeutic skills and research. HealthNet also studies the efficacy and efficiency of its work and publishes the results of its work and approaches in peer-reviewed journals. We currently implement projects in countries such as Afghanistan, Burundi, Colombia, Lesotho and South Sudan, which are being technically and operationally supported by the head office in Amsterdam.
The Amsterdam head office employs approximately 20 FTE’s and is responsible for the overall management of the organization. The main objective of the Technical Advisors lies in the design and implementation of evidence based interventions and in the development of knowledge and expertise through the M&E of field activities and research. The Technical Advisors drive quality improvement and ensure the projects meet the agreed international standards. HealthNet employees technical experts each with a specialty related to one of the main four pillars being:
- Mental health / Psychosocial Support
- Public health / Health Systems Strengthening
- Sexual and Reproductive Health & Rights
- Social Inclusion
The public health technical advisor’s role:
The technical advisor provides proactively and direct support to project activities in the different countries. An important component of the job is to support the acquisition of new projects through proposal writing. In addition, the technical advisor contributes in the development of interventions and strategies based on collected data, lessons learned and according to national and international criteria. This position plays a pro-active role in liaising between the implementations of activities in the field and the organizational strategy and knowledge in the areas of expertise. The tasks include:
- Participate in the process of creating acquiring and implementing projects ranging from: the identification of specific intervention and funding opportunities to development of project proposals, negotiating with relevant authorities, participating in the recruitment of appropriate staff and supporting the actual project activities;
- Work with multi sectorial team to assure adequate reports, tools and approaches and implementation of activities,
- Strive to ensure that the strategies and interventions are evidence-based and implemented in a comprehensive and cost-effective manner;
- Provide on-going support and technical assistance to specific projects;
- Contribute and participate in monitoring & evaluation process to ensure qualitative outcomes
- Support strategy development of the organisation (Annual Plan, Mid Term Policy) on area of expertise;
- Contribute to the development of organisational strategies and policies on area of expertise;
- Support the development of guidelines, training manuals and other materials related to area of expertise;
- Contribute to/execute academic research related to area of expertise depending of needs and opportunities;
- Drive knowledge exchange between various field locations and between the field and head office;
- Contributes actively to the dissemination of HealthNet TPO’s experiences via off- and online channels by developing publications, communication materials, and campaigns, i.e. scientific papers, lectures, newsletters, leaflets, Annual Reports, film material, or articles for newspapers/magazines, participation in seminars and conferences, and creates social media content;
- Liaise, build and maintain relations with social and health institutions/authorities, collaborating NGOs and other (international) organisations working in the health domain as well as relevant network agencies.
You have/ are:
- Medical Doctor, additional training as a tropical doctor is an advantage.
- Public Health expert and affinity with or expertise on Mental Health and Psychosocial problems,
- Epidemiology or similar related post-graduate degree or demonstrable research expertise.
- All round public health expert, with a good understanding of (global) public health issues and health systems strengthening in low income countries, experience with hospital management is an advantage;
- At least 5 years’ relevant work experience, preferably with international projects; based abroad in developing countries.
- Public health research experience is preferred
- Experience with migrants, refugees, IDPs and /or displaced person is a plus.
- 8-10 years’ experience and demonstrable skills in all aspects of Project Management including the utilization of tools such as Logical Framework, PCM, M&E framework and Theory of Change
- Excellent English writing skills, including proposal writing (French and Dutch are an advantage);
- Ambition, drive and passion to further develop and champion effective practices in the area of expertise throughout the organisation;
- Prepared to travel frequently, at least 50% of time is spent at projects sites and in Human crisis settings, and maintain a flexible work schedule.
- Excellent communication skills, can convey ideas and complex concepts to others adapting the language and terminology appropriately to the needs of the audience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good organization skills
- An opportunity to use your expertise and contribute to our mission to improve the health and well-being of people living in fragile states.
- Full time position with a duty station in Amsterdam with frequent travel abroad.
- Starting as soon as possible for the initial duration of 1 year with possible extension.
To apply, please send your CV and application letter (including your motivation) to: email@example.com by: September 4, 2017.
When applying, include the following title in the email subject line: PHA
Nationals from non-European member (EFTA/ EEA) countries must have a valid Dutch work and residence permits to apply.
Applications may be reviewed on a regular basis and we may conduct initial interviews prior to the closing date.
For specific questions about this position, please contact our HR department via firstname.lastname@example.org or 020-6200005.
For more information about HealthNet, please visit www.healthnettpo.org