Wilton Park is a globally-renowned centre for strategic dialogue on key issues for international affairs. It brings together leading figures from the worlds of politics, diplomacy, academia, business and industry, civil society, the military, and the media. Running over 60 policy dialogues a year on a wide range of critical international issues, we provide a neutral environment where conflicting views can be debated openly, and policy choices assessed and advanced.
We are recruiting a Programme Director (PD) to join our existing team of experienced PDs to establish, shape, facilitate and host your own series of policy dialogues. You will have a strong record of work in or on international affairs, of chairing and facilitating group discussions, and ideally generating and sustaining funding partnerships.
The successful applicant will join one of our two teams working on either Peace and Prosperity, or Security and Defence.
The Peace and Prosperity group’s current focus includes: peacebuilding, countering extremism, economic issues, global health, climate change impacts and humanitarian responses, SDG implementation, education and youth engagement; the Security and Defence cluster has an established programme of work on human security issues, European security, weapons proliferation, migration, modern slavery, defence policy, and counter-insurgency and stabilisation operations.
You will bring your expertise and networks in an area of international affairs which complements our current programme, develop your own programme of work to enhance our existing portfolio, and be willing to lead discussions on a range of other topics where opportunity or need arises.
Wilton Park is an executive agency of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, housed in an Elizabethan manor house in the Sussex Downs where the successful applicant will be based.
This is an exciting time to join the Wilton Park programme team given the current international context, and a new CEO starting in November.
To identify, develop and deliver international policy discussions as part of Wilton Park’s work to lead discussions on global policy. Wilton Park events support British strategic foreign policy objectives by convening opinion formers and policy makers from around the world to address and resolve issues of critical importance to global prosperity and security.
- Identify, develop and deliver at least seven Wilton Park events a year in the UK, and overseas as required.
- Establish and develop strong relationships with a range of partners including FCO officials, colleagues from other UK and international government departments, partners in national and international organisations, including academic and NGO, to identify and develop topical, timely and policy relevant events. Contribute to strategic thinking with the CEO and Policy team on developing Wilton Park’s policy themes and events.
- Design programmes for each event which are policy and outcome focused, working in collaboration with partners. Manage ongoing programme development. Identify and engage with potential speakers and participants to ensure a high quality event which meets objectives, delivers outcomes for partners and achieves multidisciplinary, citizenship and gender participation as required. Work on the development of events with support from a Programme Development Associate or policy interns.
- Convene, chair and host Wilton Park discussions and events in a neutral fashion to ensure that all participants and speakers have an opportunity to engage in meaningful, discreet and constructive dialogue using appropriate, relevant and outcome focused facilitation techniques. Ensure that a short report is issued which captures key findings and policy recommendations, post-event.
- Identify and pursue revenue generating and partnership opportunities in collaboration with the Business Development Manager and with the support of the policy team. Achieving an annual financial target, to be agreed each financial year.
- Relationship management: develop and maintain relationships with key partnerships and networks.
To apply, please visit www.wiltonpark.org.uk/careers/.
Interviews will be held the weeks beginning 27th November, and 4th December.