Principal Social Development Specialist (Gender and Development)
About the Asian Development Bank
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB operations are designed to support the three complementary agendas of inclusive economic growth, environmentally sustainable growth, and regional integration. ADB employs its limited resources in its areas of comparative strength—the core areas of:
- Infrastructure (energy, information and communications technology, transport, urban development, water)
- Regional cooperation and integration
- Finance sector development
ADB also operates on a limited scale in other areas, including:
- Agriculture and natural resources
- Public sector management
The Principal Social Development Specialist (Gender and Development) will provide primary support, to the implementation, acceleration, monitoring and reporting of the ADB Policy on Gender and Development and the Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment Operational Plan, 2013-2020 (Gender OP).
S/he will provide high level support to the Chief of Gender Equity Thematic Group on all matters regarding the Gender TG Secretariat, functions, including acting in her/his absence. S/he will also ensure and lead the implementation of Bank-wide standards on gender mainstreaming in operations. The incumbent will report to the Chief of Gender Equity Thematic Group and will supervise the national and administrative staff.
- You must be from one of the 67 members to be able to apply
- Senior professional experience in GAD policy development and its implementation in multi-lateral or bilateral development institutions, with good knowledge of the Asia and Pacific region, at senior levels (e.g. leading projects)
- International experience working in several countries, including Asia and the Pacific
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Possesses strong analytical skills relevant to country analytical work and social/poverty/gender assessments to lead ADB’s gender knowledge
- Strong leadership qualities and strong ability to share technical knowledge and experience, identify and develop best practice and to
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Gender Studies, Sociology/Anthropology/Social Development, International Development/Affairs, Public Policy, Economics, Human Rights, or other social science, preferably involving gender studies. University degree in Gender Studies, Sociology/Anthropology/Social Development, International Development/Affairs, Public Policy, Economics, Human Rights, or other social science combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree
Interested in this role? Download the appointment brief below for more information then come back to this page to apply. For this, click on the “Apply” button in the job advert page and complete our online application form. Please provide a CV and Cover Letter in ONE single document.
Former applicants to ADB’s advertisement need not apply
Appointment Brief: Principal Social Development Specialist (GAD)- ADB