Tetra Tech ARD (https://tetratechintdev.com), headquartered in Burlington, Vermont, is accepting expressions of interest from qualified candidates to join our team as an Operations Director to ensure that Tetra Tech ARD projects are delivering results, staying on budget, and meeting client expectations.
The Operations Director (OD) is responsible for assisting the Vice President of Operations (VPO) and Sector Directors with minimum supervision, and is expected to take a leading, proactive role in problem solving and assisting and guiding others. His/her work will be informed by a thorough understanding of Tetra Tech ARD operating procedures, and USAID rules and regulations. This person will work closely with the VPO, Sector Directors and Project Management Teams to ensure project management best practices are transferred throughout the organization and that risks are reduced.
The Operations Director will report to the Vice President of Operations and will be based in Burlington, VT
- Works closely with VPO to oversee project risk identification, management and mitigation in collaboration with Sector Directors and project teams, including review project metrics regularly to identify potential projects at risk and help coordinate and implement mitigation measures as required.
- Oversee the Project Evaluation and Estimate at Completion (PEEAC) process, sitting in on meetings, and helping to resolve problems and issues identified during the process.
- Provides management support and strategic guidance to PMTs in relation to project management and implementation issues.
- Organize regular project management meetings for PMTs to share lessons learned, discuss current implementation issues, hear from support units, and gather feedback on improving project management systems
- Facilitate coordination among projects when there is more than one project in country operating under the same registration requiring financial reporting be consolidated to include all TT ARD work in country.
- Work with the BUS team to gather feedback on and help roll out new policies and procedures to ensure better compliance.
- Facilitate sharing of project management resources across sectors, including coverage for leave or other resource-sharing needs.
- Coordinates training for all new project management staff, ensuring they attend all PM 101 sessions and that they have a mentor for their first year.
- Work with each project team to coordinate the scheduling of orientations for all new project staff.
- Supervise Operations Specialist to ensure rapid and accurate registration and deregistration and banking needs are handled at startup and closeout.
- Supervise the Senior Start-Up and Close-Out Specialist, ensuring s/he provides high-quality support to projects and maintains high degree of billability.
- Mentors and meets regularly with Project Management Teams (PMTs) during start-up and close-out to ensure that they follow best practices and lessons learned from across the organization.
- The OD will be available to engage in field assignments and to support special priority projects on an as needed basis and at the direction of the VPO.
Essential Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required, Masters preferred;
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in international development with successful track record in project implementation, with experience in both home and field offices preferred;
- Minimum 5-years’ experience working with USAID and thorough familiarity with USAID rules and regulations;
- Management skills requiring the ability to interface with technical and operational business functions and staff;
- Experience leading and managing teams, including personnel management experience, is preferred;
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral;
- Demonstrated experience conducting training and capacity building on a range of project management topics;
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary, cross cultural teams - in the Home Office and the field;
- Speaking and reading proficiency in at least one foreign language;
- Energetic and enthusiastic team player, strongly motivated and collaborative;
- Availability for 10-30% international travel;
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office and familiarity with databases, and
- U.S. citizenship or a current, valid U.S. work permit is mandatory.
- Apply on line at https://bit.ly/2GATwVH
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of this on-line application process:
- A letter of application explaining individual qualifications and competencies for this opportunity
- A current resume / CV in reverse chronological format
- A list of at least 3 professional references including name, contact information, and statement of relationship to the reference.
- A writing sample of sole authorship, maximum of 10 pages in length.
Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered.
Please ensure that all necessary documents are uploaded, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration.
No phone calls will be accepted.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees—16,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability