- Based in Vientiane, Lao PDR, with some travel to provinces and districts as required
- Full time, 12 month contract with potential for extension
The Laos Australia Institute is an eight-year program of support to the development of human resources (HRD) in Laos, ending in 2021. The Institute provides a focal point for all HRD Australian assistance by effectively and progressively developing and implementing HRD through a range of delivery modalities including scholarships, training and organisational capacity building.
The goal of the program is that Laos is making good use of all its human resources (men, women, people with disabilities and those from other disadvantaged groups) to advance sustainable development. Working towards this overarching goal, LAI aims to achieve two long-term outcomes:
- Men and women alumni of the Australia Awards (AAS), Laos Australia National Scholarships (LANS) and other LAI activities are using their skills, knowledge and networks to contribute to development in Laos
- Men and women alumni have ongoing links with Australia and Australians, and are contributing to cooperation between Australia and Laos
The Institute Director will have overall responsibility for ensuring all aspects of the Laos Australia Institute (LAI) services are delivered to best-practice standards, in accordance with the requirements and terms of the contract and for managing the day to day activities of the program team. The Institute Director is also responsible for the overall strategic leadership and strategic and operational management of the Laos Australia Institute. Some other duties will include:
- Direct, plan, oversight, coordinate and implement all aspects of the Institute, including monitoring and evaluation of program outcomes and ensure all are managed and operate efficiently and effectively including office, staff and finance
- Provide strategic and technical direction and advice as required, including risk management and quality assurance of the overall program
- Monitor outputs, targets, risks and emerging issues on the Program and incorporate an assessment of progress, issues and lesson learnt in the Annual Plan, M&E activity and Annual reports
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with DFAT, relevant Government of Laos personnel and other key stakeholders
- Support the achievement of DFAT’s strategic goals including with regard to alumni engagement, public diplomacy and the objectives of the Aid Investment Plan
- Ensure clear management arrangements and effective communication, providing clear and responsive management to the LAI team, short term consultants and sub-contractors
We are seeking applicants with relevant Postgraduate tertiary qualifications in fields such as international development, education, human resource development and public sector administration.
The successful candidate will have ten years or more experience in strategic leadership and senior management of international development related to scholarships, capacity building and / or training programs with DFAT or other donors, preferably within South East Asia. You will also have extensive experience in complex program implementation, including leading a team of professionals, mentoring staff, conceptualising, designing and delivering major projects and producing complex reports or studies. The successful candidate will also have solid experience of working within higher education and with the Australian higher education systems. You will have extensive experience of working in developing countries, particularly with the public sector and have the capacity to build and maintain effective relationships with senior personnel in government and donor agencies. An understanding of the social, cultural, political and institutional factors affecting development in Laos will be highly regarded.
This position is Category B, Level 4 under the DFAT Adviser Remuneration Framework. Please visit https://dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/Documents/adviser-remuneration-framework.pdf for more details.
For further enquiries please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the job reference 495562.
How to Apply
For a detailed position description and to apply for this position please visit www.coffey.com/careers click on ‘career opportunities’ and search for the reference number 495562.
Applications close 5.00pm (Laos time) Friday 6 October 2017.