Director of Human Resources, Global
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health (LMH) saves lives in the world's most remote communities by partnering with governments to bring critical primary care services to the doorsteps of people living in the last mile. Last Mile Health is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization with offices in Liberia, Boston and New York. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
General Position Summary
The Director of Human Resources (HR) will oversee the strategic direction of the Human Resources team, under the direction of the Chief Operating Officer. The Director of HR will grow and supervise HR functions that include staff relations and programs for talent development, recruitment and talent pipeline development, personnel policy and administration, ensuring all are aligned with LMH’s culture code and values.
This position can be based in Monrovia, Boston, or New York and requires significant international travel.
Essential Job Functions
Human Resources Leadership:
- Work closely with the Liberia Country Director’s office to ensure effective leadership of the human resource team, ensuring roles and responsibilities, performance standards and organizational objectives are clear
- Provide relevant HR insights and solution to key organizational challenges via position on the executive team and liaising with relevant LMH leadership
- Play a key leadership role in implementing key, long-term strategic interventions in the area of employee and leadership development, talent readiness, employee engagement, organizational culture and diversity
- Help the organization through transformation, expansion and changing sector climates
- Manage the development, refinement and/or communication of HR policies, procedures and practices to ensure sound leadership application and legal compliance
- Contribute to the development and improvement of HR systems, programs and processes in support of HR operating as a progressive, innovative and strategic function
- Oversee management and utility of, Employee Navigator, LMH’s HR system software
Recruitment and Talent Development:
- Build and oversee recruitment division to ensure recruitment of staff, consultants and subcontractors; ensuring talent pools are developed for key positions.
- Participate in all key hiring decisions for senior-level staff.
- Ensure implementation of a robust performance management system, ensuring its effective application across the organization.
- Oversee the development and implementation of learning and development initiatives for the Last Mile Health workforce
- Develop leadership pipelines and processes with a focus on improving diversity
- Build out LMH’s strategy for addressing employee relations issues with a focus on effective problem solving, mediation and risk management
- Work with senior leadership to ensure the health and safety of all Liberia-based LMH staff and contractors, including supporting the development/enforcement of relevant policies and rapidly responding to staff emergency situations
- Ensure all LMH Liberia field offices receive timely and effective human resources support from the Monrovia-based HR team
- Masters in Business Administration, MSc Human Resource Management or similar
- Professional certification in Human Resources preferred
- 5-10 years of experience in human resources or similar field, including 3+ years in a management role
- Significant international NGO/non-profit management experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of Human Resources standards and practices, especially as relate to policy development and implementation, standards for confidentiality and reporting, and conflict resolution
- Excellent judgment around personal relations and ability to cultivate a warm and welcoming environment
- Strong familiarity with principles and practices of adult learning, motivation and mediation
- Ability to produce solutions to complex problems in a user-friendly manner
- Ability to navigate complex processes, and problem solve to negotiate and achieve consensus with multiple influencers
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task in time-sensitive manner
- Fluent in English and excellent verbal, and written communication skills